What's the longest time anyone has ever kept a blue tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I'm on my second blue tang,now....it's a Regal blue. And I'm not sure he's gonna last. The first one I had didn't last but two weeks, and it was my fault (nitrites). So I was wondering if anyone has successfully kept these fish for any lengh of time? Are they really that hard to keep?

My first one lasted 2 weeks in qt. The second one lasted 3 and a half weeks in qt. I had just about given up. Then 3 weeks ago we decided we would give it one more try. After much research and soul searching(LOL) we got one and did not qt it. Many researchers say that qt is harder on them than anything else, so we put her straight into the main tank. Of course she immediately broke out in ich and I went into panic mode. However, the main tank has good water and a very big cleaner shrimp so the lfs guy said to wait it out(we couldn't catch her for qt). By the end of day 2 the cleaner had her completly cleaned off. After about 4 days she got a few more spots which were cleaned off again. She's been in for 3 weeks now and hopefully the worst is over. Maybe I lucked out this time. Good luck with yours.

I have had one for about a little over a year and he eats eveything you feed him

Attachments

• 2_tangs.jpg
    2_tangs.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 2_tangs.jpg
    2_tangs.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 237
I only kept mine for 14 months and Sold it, never had any issues with Ich.
I did not qt this fish, I fed my other fish garlic soaked foods for 5 days before getting the fish. I watched it at the LFS for more than a week, and after it was in my tank I fed garlic soaked foods to it for the first week. I never had any health problems with this fish, it grew fast and it was in my 300g which could make a difference.

Kaye

I got mine when it was about an inch 1/2 and paper thin about nine months ago, now hes about 3 to 4 in long, like cobras tang mine eats everything i throw in the tank. had couple breakouts of ich but usually goes away in a week or two, never had to QT, maybe I got lucky, but Id like to think that because he eats so dam much that somehow its immune system can handle whatever disease it catches HTH

THe lfs I buy from will hold the fish for me for 2 weeks. before I pay and take it home this is great. With paying so much for these fish and no warranty on them. Maybe your lfs would hold them for you. I do not have a qt set up. Hope I never need one but would use a plastic tote for one when I need it. I have spare power heads and heaters I could use but for now I will let my lfs hold them for me. I would never take home a fish the day they get them in like so many people I see buying them right out of the shipping bags.

I have had my regal for close to a year now. This can be a hard fish to acclimate and it ivery prone to ick. It should be added to a home QT for six weeks before going into the main. Once acclimated and eating it proves to be a pretty haedy fish.

Thanks for the encouraging words....it's always good to hear other people's experiences! The problem with mine is that I'm battling persistent ich, but I think the biggest problem is that he refuses to eat anything I give him. I soak everything in garlic, but if he doesn't eat his immune system is definately compromised. The only food he gets is by grazing on the bottom of the tank. I always thought that was strange, never heard of a tang bottom grazing. He stays really skinny, too. On the one hand, it's not looking good. On the other hand, I've had him for six weeks now and he's survived this long, so I don't know.....

Have you tried garlic & vitamin soaked mysis yet? If not try that and if your Nori clip sinks clip a piece of nori and let it sink to the bottom.

Kaye

I've tried myssis soaked in garlic...didn't go for it. I've tried green seaweed on a clip and lettuce on a clip....didn't go for it. But I never let it sink to the bottom, so I guess I could give that a shot

I've tried green seaweed on a clip and lettuce on a clip....didn't go for it. But I never let it sink to the bottom, so I guess I could give that a shot
I had this problem with my Coral Beauty. Ate fine at the LFS, but refused in the qt. What I did was break up the Nori (seaweed) into little pieces and allowed it to settle on the bottom. She eventually started nibbling at the smaller pieces and the problem was eventually solved. Might want to give it a try.

I'll definately give it a shot, especially since she's only grazing off the bottom anyway

i have for almost a year and i wish i could GET RID OF IT. I had the worst luck with inch and laterial line. However if you keep one i would suggest feeding it garlic often when you first introduce it to the tank for at least the first week or two this will help the fish fight off ich. And as far as the laterial line i had no like at a second try with baby tang that broke out a week after i bought him. i dont know how to prevent lateral line but make sure he eats lots of greens and dried seaweed. i feed mine frozen greens, prime flakes with selcon on them, mysis shrimp, and dried seaweed and unfortuanlty my tang still got laterial line. personal once i get rid of this fish i will never purchase one again. hopes this help besides the ich i havent had any problems with this fish being sick

hey the only way i got my tang to eat anything besides flakes way by seprating it into another tank and just only feeding him with dried seaweed on a clip and after a few days he got hungry and eats it all the time with no problem

HMMMMM I was thinking about getting one of these tangs but yall are making me a little scared about buying this fish...Where I am they run about $60 and I dont want to spend this on a fish that is going to die or not eat then die.

Well I guess it's now about 4 weeks. She just disappeared two days ago. Just gone. No remains.

my blue survived ich and copper treatment ive had him for about 8 months, and hes been clean of ich (whitespot) for 4 months now and he is going to remain clean and healthy!

She just disappeared two days ago.

Your entire tang disappeared?! Oh my. That's just horrible. You must have an excellent clean up crew?

She is just gone. I can't find a single sign of her. We have about 75 hermits, 50+ snails, 2 cleaner shrimp, a coral banded shrimp, 2 kinds of urchins,2 emerald crabs and a serpent star. There are no leftovers in our tank. Ever. Not even an ammonia spike.

Back
Top Bottom