Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-05-2006, 08:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I didn't find my 20 gallon tank to be that difficult. I did 20 gallons for my first tank because I could not afford the cost of the live rock and such for a larger tank. This is an experiment for me....a launching pad. If this goes well, I will upgrade.

Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
I started with a 10g, then went to a 29g, 55g, and finally my 150g. I didn't have a lot of resources when I first started so I learned a lot by trial and error. Fortunately for I had the money to upgrade several times as I learned more and things became available to me. All of my tanks were built on budgets too.

angelscrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Argh sorry to stir things up. Don't get me wrong I was a nano freak myself so don't take this too seriously and I am definitely not against nano tank.

May be I will need to rephrase it to only if you could afford get the bigger tank possible in the first place. That way it could save you a fortune. Also ignore this if you are a nano fan because I know some people would like to keep thing small and simple and cute.... perhaps?
weekf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:27 AM   #14
I think that many people get a nano(even if they could afford bigger) because they have a misconception that it is easier.

I started with a 30 and wish I started bigger. I already want to upgrade.

On the flip side, once I get some experience under my belt, I would love to do a small sea horse tank.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by melosu58
Stop talking and show me. I want to see some pics

I got close ups too!
SeeDemTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #16
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I`m not much of a nano guy but that`s a nice tank. Good Work.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
WOW! Tails, very impressive!
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i got a nano because i move around alot and only plan on being where i am for about another 9 months or so, anyone have much experience moving their tanks, nano or otherwise?
napydred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have moved my tank before as you see it, with no crashes!
SeeDemTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:04 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My first SW tank is a nano, 5 gallon...

I went with a very nano tank becuase...

I am in college, I live in apartment style campus housing. And this is my 4thtank....I have 75 and 2 10s, all freshwater. I wanted saltwater, couldnt convert the 75 for less than 500 bucks, and the 10s are breeding tanks.

trust me though, I already want another 75 to do saltwater with...

I started with fish a year ago in a 10 gallon. 2 months later, I added a 29 gallon. I moved a month later, and added a 5 gallon. I moved 3 months later to my current apartment, and since i should be in here for the next 2 years, got the 75, lost the fish in the 5 gallon, converted it to a holding tank fora bit, got another 10 gallon for breeding feeders for the 75...that plan still isnt paying off yet :/ have gotten 2 bad batches of guippies from differant LFSs Decided to convert the 5 to salt, I have live rock in it right now, getting clean up crew in 6 days, fish 2 weeks after that if cycle goes well.

I would at least recommend that anyone who is starting with saltwater to get a 29 gallon tank, or larger. larger is always easier, but costlier...until you start getting small...that can cost a bit as well :/ but larger is easier, and a 29 is a good balance of size/effort/cost. Not too expensive, large selection for livestock including corals, and enough water so that minor mistakes wont be deadly. For freshwater starters, would recommend a 20g high prolly, maybe a 10 gallon or even as large as a 29 there.

Jarred Darque is offline   Reply With Quote

nano, nano tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com