Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What's the point of keeping a nano tank?

Mannnn... advice to all new beginners here. WARNING!!! Don't get a nano tank and get at least a 55g instead.

I mean... this hobby is addicting. I started out 1 year ago with a 4.5g Two months down the track I couldn't stand on the size and set up another 20g high. Then 6 months down the track I, again couldn't stand on the size and finally got a 132g 6 footer. Upgrading like this cost lots of $$$. You will need to keep upgrading your gear and stuffs too not just the tank alone.

So my advice is: Get a bigger tank as you could possibly afford. That will save you some $$$.

The reason I started a nano tank 1 year ago? Was because I was worried that since I have got no experience in aquarium prior to that at all hence was just experimenting. I have got no dramas at all keeping the 4.5g (and tank with that size is extremely hard to keep) therefore it just boast my confidence and decided to upgrade.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, most nano tank owners already have bigger tanks Once you have one you want more.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

We keep trying to tell them but they wont listen. I`ve always said IMO always start with at least a 55 gallon tank. Then go with a nano if you want. The bigger the better.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Problem with a 55 is that some of us actually don't have the money for it....I have a 10 gallon FOWLR and that's all I'm gonna have for a while, since I'm in grad school and barely have enough money to scrape by. I do agree that a larger tank is easier to balance and offers more choices for livestock but I'd rather have my 10 gallon than nothing! No way I could have afforded the lights, equipment and LR for a 55 gallon.

BTW I'm a newbie to SW but not to freshwater, and am also a biologist and nutrient chemist.....so for a "real" newbie I also agree a bigger tank is better.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I understand. I went to college also.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 10-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I think nanos are cool. But we do always atleast make sure someone knows that they are a lot harder to keep. It can be done. Swing by nano-reef.com and check out some of those tanks...some of those can blow a big tank out of the water.

Size is also a limitation, as are costs. I don't think its fair to say nanos cannot be done by newbies to sw. Harder, much harder yes. Not impossible.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a nano and a 37 gal reef....I still like my nano better!

I like to do it because it is harder....that is the same reson I am a tournament winning fly fishing flats guide....if I wanted to make it easy I would just use spinning rods!

I would advise anyone who wants a nano to get one, you will end up with a bigger tank anyway, but no reason why you cant have multiple tank!

I also love hearing when people say "They are so much harder, dont try one blah blah blah"........Puts a big smile on my face when people see my tank and have to spend 20 minutes looking at a 10 gal tank just to see everything! 8)
Old 10-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
have to spend 20 minutes looking at a 10 gal tank just to see everything!
Yeah, I'm still finding stuff in my 10 gallon too!

Someday I will set up a larger SW tank, probably will convert my 55 to SW and get a bigger FW planted tank....but that's goign to wait until my thesis is done and I don't live in a teeny apartment!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeDemTails
Puts a big smile on my face when people see my tank and have to spend 20 minutes looking at a 10 gal tank just to see everything! 8)
Stop talking and show me. I want to see some pics

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 10-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
I think I'm going to set up a nano tank, but it's going to be more of a fuge to my 125. I basically want to run my 125 and the 55 gallon sump, and then have another 20 gallon set up next to it with a clown/anemone tank tied into to.

Tags
nano, nano tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com