whats the smallest tank for a lion fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
30 gallons for the dwarf lions and 50 for the volitan. Of course this is just from my readings as I have no experience with lions.

Dwarf Species:
Fu Man Chu lionfish - 5-6 inches - 30 gallons - Harder to get on Frozen Food & Ships Poorly
Dwarf Fuzzy lionfish - 7-8 inches - 30 gallons - Only 1 Fuzzy per tank
Dwarf lion/Dwarf Zebra lion - 6-8 inches - 30 gallons
Antennata lion/Spot-finned lion - 8-9 inches - 55 gallons
Devil lionfish/Mombassa lion/Deepwater lionfish - 7-8 inches - 55 gallons
Radiated lion/Clearfin lion - 9-10 inches - 65 gallons - One of the more difficult lions to keep

Larger Fin Species:
Russell's lion - 10-12 inches - 75 gallons
Volitans - 12-15 inches - 85 gallons - Keep the size in mind they will reach this size in the first 18 months and they need turning room.

Hope this helps.....

While lions are not overly active one of the reasons for the larger tank (i was going to shoot from the hip and say 20 or 29. Lions are messy eaters and uneaten food can cause problems in small tanks when it comes to water quality.

I wouldn't keep a Dwarf Lion in anything smaller than a 40 gallon IMO. Larger Lions is a 90 gallon or more.
It also depends on what tankmates you want.

Lions are messy eaters and uneaten food can cause problems in small tanks when it comes to water quality.

They are very messy eaters and produce a lots of waste, I would only feed from a feeding stick. It's a clear rod but train them with that, this way you avoid excess foods in the tank.
Plus remember the larger species grow very fast and can eat anything that will fit in their mouth.

Kaye

quarryshark said:
I wouldn't keep a Dwarf Lion in anything smaller than a 40 gallon IMO. Larger Lions is a 90 gallon or more.
It also depends on what tankmates you want.

I am inclined to agree, but suggest 110+ (wide) minimum for volitans...I have seen some mucking big volitans over the past 25 years.

Back
Top Bottom