Whats up with the Brand Name Corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mitchell0605

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Guys,
For a while now I've been hearing about the 'LE' and 'ORA' (I think this one is a person/company and not a rarity) corals. And just now 'Hornet' Zoas. I have a few questions.

1) Why so special?
2) Are they merely trends of a particularly nice coral for a while?
3) Are they worth buying?

Here's an example of one I found for sale in Australia. Yes, I can't believe it either, but we have something rare going on. (BTW I know it's 'real' (per se) because I saw the same polyps in Jimbo's Pico tank and he talked about them on another thread).
https://www.coralsdownunder.com/zoanthids.html

Hey Guys,
For a while now I've been hearing about the 'LE' and 'ORA' (I think this one is a person/company and not a rarity) corals. And just now 'Hornet' Zoas. I have a few questions.

1) Why so special?
2) Are they merely trends of a particularly nice coral for a while?
3) Are they worth buying?

Here's an example of one I found for sale in Australia. Yes, I can't believe it either, but we have something rare going on. (BTW I know it's 'real' (per se) because I saw the same polyps in Jimbo's Pico tank and he talked about them on another thread).
https://www.coralsdownunder.com/zoanthids.html

I could go on for awhile regarding this but I will keep it short. Most of the LE or ORA corals are aquacultured and have been in captivity for years making them more hardy and better for the wild reefs.
Yes, they can be trendy but its also part of the fun. For me its almost like collecting something...like maybe baseball cards, coins or stamps where you want certain ones. I also enjoy going over to another reefers house and pointing out different corals and having them go over all the names like, bubble gum, pink lemonade, red planet, blue matrix, ice fire etc etc etc
I also like them because someday when my tank grows out and I am forced to cut back the coral I will have many frags which will be much easier to sell when they are "name brand" and have "lineage."
Check out this site lots of LE Tyree
www.reeffarmers.com

Last edited:
So it's kinda like pedigree with dogs? Except because of the asexual method of reproduction (fragging by humans) there is no genetic diversity thus ensuring an identical coral to the original colony.

Sounds like a good idea but at the same time you've got to think about the genetic side of it. No diversity means no new genes being incorporated and possible infections etc could wipe out a lineage.

Not quite the same as dog breeding. It's actually closer to cloning. You let a coral grow out, cut a piece of it off and start a new colony. So it's just part of the original colony. This happens all the time in nature. Storms cause breakage and a fallen piece attaches somewhere else and starts growing.

Also because these are tank raised they are used to the conditions of a small tank (compared to the ocean). It also means they don't bring along the diseases or parsasites from the ocean.

The best part is that natural reeefs are not disturbed.

It turns out that there is less genetic diversity than we thought. Of the known corals, about half of them are genetically identical. They just appear different due the local conditions (temp, flow, light, etc.).

There are also efforts to repopulate destroyed reefs with captive bred corals.

I agree with ryshark. I think of all the ORA, Tyree, and GARF stuff to be collectors items.
Also, those are some nice hornets. The original purples are about the only ones I have ever seen that are really "hornets" but when they were selling for 100 bucks a head on ebay, instantly everyone had some sort of hornet morph. :/

I often think about the name brand stuff. I think that paying more for a name is silly. But if it keeps the "pullers" from clearing the ocean than I am on board. I just think that people going on about a name and liniage is stupid. I think buying frags is the same thing. So if we all frag our corals and pass them along then we are doing our part. I have read about people searching for a particular name and it makes no sense. To me anyway.

I think dogs from the pound are more appreciative then a custom breed. Just my 2 cents. But then again, I think buying dogs or pets from a breeder should be illegal. There are too many good homeless animals that need homes. Sorry I went off subject.

I agree with ryshark. I think of all the ORA, Tyree, and GARF stuff to be collectors items.
Also, those are some nice hornets. The original purples are about the only ones I have ever seen that are really "hornets" but when they were selling for 100 bucks a head on ebay, instantly everyone had some sort of hornet morph. :/

Good point, thats the down side all the morphs come out everybody is calling it that.

I often think about the name brand stuff. I think that paying more for a name is silly. But if it keeps the "pullers" from clearing the ocean than I am on board. I just think that people going on about a name and liniage is stupid. I think buying frags is the same thing. So if we all frag our corals and pass them along then we are doing our part. I have read about people searching for a particular name and it makes no sense. To me anyway.

I think dogs from the pound are more appreciative then a custom breed. Just my 2 cents. But then again, I think buying dogs or pets from a breeder should be illegal. There are too many good homeless animals that need homes. Sorry I went off subject.

I guess thats what makes the world go round, everybody has their own opinions. For me half the fun is finding that certain particular coral and getting it to thrive. Anybody can go to a LFS and purchase any random frag. However, with that said, all of the named corals were just some random frag or wild piece at one point. So finding that next big name coral would be cool.

It's gotta be something pretty nice to become the next 'thing'. And that Hornet, it doesn't even do it for me. Sure, it's nice, but it's not OMG MUST BUY NOW EVEN THOUGH IT"S A RIPOFF nice.

dude no way. ive been trying to get my hands on c.browns FOREVER. Got any huge nasty brown palys too? :p

Sometimes people dont want a dog crossed 4 ways you know. :)
Cant find mini schnauzers at the shelter, but they sure are fun to have. Yes a pound dog might make a great pet, but sometimes people are looking for something in particular rather than in general.

Who wants some light brown acropora? Sure, it will grow just fine. As for me, I have little room in my tank and like to use up space with really neat looking stuff. I have some ORA corals and can say they are very nice corals. The frags come as mini colonies rather than a "twig". They have some outstanding colors too.

Name brand corals cost a bit much, but most are as colorful as they are $$$.

Chalice corals are probably the most $$$ things I have seen, but some of the crazy priced ones are also the most beautiful I have seen. Once you see them, its hard to give up sand bed space for some random brown blue chalice (priced great).

Now I am not one to go spend a fortune on anything, but dont judge the people that spend a bit more than me that are getting outstanding colors too. Of all the beautiful things in the world, none match things that live in our tanks. :grin: Living diamonds some of those name brand corals are...

Matt

Back
Top Bottom