Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Question Whats up with the Brand Name Corals?

Hey Guys,
For a while now I've been hearing about the 'LE' and 'ORA' (I think this one is a person/company and not a rarity) corals. And just now 'Hornet' Zoas. I have a few questions.

1) Why so special?
2) Are they merely trends of a particularly nice coral for a while?
3) Are they worth buying?

Here's an example of one I found for sale in Australia. Yes, I can't believe it either, but we have something rare going on. (BTW I know it's 'real' (per se) because I saw the same polyps in Jimbo's Pico tank and he talked about them on another thread).
https://www.coralsdownunder.com/zoanthids.html

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:12 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
Hey Guys,
For a while now I've been hearing about the 'LE' and 'ORA' (I think this one is a person/company and not a rarity) corals. And just now 'Hornet' Zoas. I have a few questions.

1) Why so special?
2) Are they merely trends of a particularly nice coral for a while?
3) Are they worth buying?

Here's an example of one I found for sale in Australia. Yes, I can't believe it either, but we have something rare going on. (BTW I know it's 'real' (per se) because I saw the same polyps in Jimbo's Pico tank and he talked about them on another thread).
https://www.coralsdownunder.com/zoanthids.html
I could go on for awhile regarding this but I will keep it short. Most of the LE or ORA corals are aquacultured and have been in captivity for years making them more hardy and better for the wild reefs.
Yes, they can be trendy but its also part of the fun. For me its almost like collecting something...like maybe baseball cards, coins or stamps where you want certain ones. I also enjoy going over to another reefers house and pointing out different corals and having them go over all the names like, bubble gum, pink lemonade, red planet, blue matrix, ice fire etc etc etc
I also like them because someday when my tank grows out and I am forced to cut back the coral I will have many frags which will be much easier to sell when they are "name brand" and have "lineage."
Check out this site lots of LE Tyree
www.reeffarmers.com

Old 06-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

So it's kinda like pedigree with dogs? Except because of the asexual method of reproduction (fragging by humans) there is no genetic diversity thus ensuring an identical coral to the original colony.

Sounds like a good idea but at the same time you've got to think about the genetic side of it. No diversity means no new genes being incorporated and possible infections etc could wipe out a lineage.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Not quite the same as dog breeding. It's actually closer to cloning. You let a coral grow out, cut a piece of it off and start a new colony. So it's just part of the original colony. This happens all the time in nature. Storms cause breakage and a fallen piece attaches somewhere else and starts growing.

Also because these are tank raised they are used to the conditions of a small tank (compared to the ocean). It also means they don't bring along the diseases or parsasites from the ocean.

The best part is that natural reeefs are not disturbed.

It turns out that there is less genetic diversity than we thought. Of the known corals, about half of them are genetically identical. They just appear different due the local conditions (temp, flow, light, etc.).

There are also efforts to repopulate destroyed reefs with captive bred corals.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with ryshark. I think of all the ORA, Tyree, and GARF stuff to be collectors items.
Also, those are some nice hornets. The original purples are about the only ones I have ever seen that are really "hornets" but when they were selling for 100 bucks a head on ebay, instantly everyone had some sort of hornet morph. :/
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I often think about the name brand stuff. I think that paying more for a name is silly. But if it keeps the "pullers" from clearing the ocean than I am on board. I just think that people going on about a name and liniage is stupid. I think buying frags is the same thing. So if we all frag our corals and pass them along then we are doing our part. I have read about people searching for a particular name and it makes no sense. To me anyway.

I think dogs from the pound are more appreciative then a custom breed. Just my 2 cents. But then again, I think buying dogs or pets from a breeder should be illegal. There are too many good homeless animals that need homes. Sorry I went off subject.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
I agree with ryshark. I think of all the ORA, Tyree, and GARF stuff to be collectors items.
Also, those are some nice hornets. The original purples are about the only ones I have ever seen that are really "hornets" but when they were selling for 100 bucks a head on ebay, instantly everyone had some sort of hornet morph. :/
Good point, thats the down side all the morphs come out everybody is calling it that.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bige View Post
I often think about the name brand stuff. I think that paying more for a name is silly. But if it keeps the "pullers" from clearing the ocean than I am on board. I just think that people going on about a name and liniage is stupid. I think buying frags is the same thing. So if we all frag our corals and pass them along then we are doing our part. I have read about people searching for a particular name and it makes no sense. To me anyway.

I think dogs from the pound are more appreciative then a custom breed. Just my 2 cents. But then again, I think buying dogs or pets from a breeder should be illegal. There are too many good homeless animals that need homes. Sorry I went off subject.
I guess thats what makes the world go round, everybody has their own opinions. For me half the fun is finding that certain particular coral and getting it to thrive. Anybody can go to a LFS and purchase any random frag. However, with that said, all of the named corals were just some random frag or wild piece at one point. So finding that next big name coral would be cool.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's gotta be something pretty nice to become the next 'thing'. And that Hornet, it doesn't even do it for me. Sure, it's nice, but it's not OMG MUST BUY NOW EVEN THOUGH IT"S A RIPOFF nice.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

It all depends on what you like. I love rare and crazy zoas so for me, they were a must buy. :p

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com