Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Travis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 716
Whats worse?

Whats worse, a canister filter, or a hob skimmer? I just tore down my 55 because of an algae outbreak and i hear canisters are bad news. So, can my tank thrive with just a skimmer and a few powerheads?
__________________

__________________
Travis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
I used a fluval 305 canister on my 55g with success. It's just a matter of maintaining it. You should have some sort of mechanical filtration in my opinion, like a hob filter, a sump setup or a canister.
__________________

__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Travis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I used a fluval 305 canister on my 55g with success. It's just a matter of maintaining it. You should have some sort of mechanical filtration in my opinion, like a hob filter, a sump setup or a canister.
I want a sump but cant drill my tank. its all tempered. Plus no mkney for a sump and pump. Might be getting a 20 long sump for $20 tho. Id rather use the cascade 1000 on my fw. I have a fluval 305 with carbon, LR, and filter floss on my nano. Being that my nano is a ten gal should i put the skimmer on that, put the fluval on the fw and put the cascade back on the 55 fowlr? Would the red sea prizm skimmer be enough with a small ph on my ten gal?
__________________
Travis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Patrick93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis55
Whats worse, a canister filter, or a hob skimmer? I just tore down my 55 because of an algae outbreak and i hear canisters are bad news. So, can my tank thrive with just a skimmer and a few powerheads?
There's nothing wrong with canisters they work well I use a 305 and fx5 and non became nitrate factories and yes I also run a sump system wit a refug. Please do research and self experiment with it trust me u won't be disappointed with them
__________________
Patrick93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
The prizm skimmer might be enough on a 10g depending on stocking and some other factors. I',m still a big fan of having some sort of hang on back thing going. You can get aquaclear filters for like $25 on amazon and you can run carbon or gfo in there if you need to. Plus you can run just polyfill to clean up the water when needed.

Swapping all these filters around might cause mini cycles in yoru tanks, don't forget. So you might wanna take the easiest way out and just use what's being used now.

In a perfect world I would use the fluval on the largest tank and work it that way. You don't need the filter to do that much in the saltwater tank, just catch particles of gunk floating around and to run chemical media.
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Travis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
The prizm skimmer might be enough on a 10g depending on stocking and some other factors. I',m still a big fan of having some sort of hang on back thing going. You can get aquaclear filters for like $25 on amazon and you can run carbon or gfo in there if you need to. Plus you can run just polyfill to clean up the water when needed.

Swapping all these filters around might cause mini cycles in yoru tanks, don't forget. So you might wanna take the easiest way out and just use what's being used now.

In a perfect world I would use the fluval on the largest tank and work it that way. You don't need the filter to do that much in the saltwater tank, just catch particles of gunk floating around and to run chemical media.
My 10 gal has a small clown and some corals.

My 55 sw is empty and my 55 fw has a lot of fish. Lol 2 irridescent sharks, 2 red tailed sharks, a pleco, groumi (sp), and a cory cat.

So bioload wise would def be fw, sw, nano. So put the fluval on the fw, cascade on the sw and skimmer on nano. I can add cafbon and sruff to the skimmer. Its got a compartment that has a carbon pad.



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120302_110406.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	80141
__________________
Travis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
I'm no expert but that's what i would do. use the best filter for the tank that needs it the most.
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Travis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I'm no expert but that's what i would do. use the best filter for the tank that needs it the most.
So my filter swaps has come to an end... selling the fluval and cascade. Hob skimmer is on the nano for now. Tore down the 55 fw. I got a 20 gal sump. $20. Quite one 4000 for $30. And a 2 bulb 175w metal halide retrofit with 2 36" vho light for $15 so im on a run!
__________________

__________________
Travis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
whats your background? keenfish Aquaria Off-Topic 15 03-07-2012 11:11 AM
Whats the cause Malawi Freak Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 5 03-01-2012 05:16 PM
Whats on my Flame Angel fishy62 Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 13 03-01-2012 11:39 AM
Whats your Platy's names?! Copachick Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 02-29-2012 09:09 AM
Whats going on with my horned nerite snails? miylee Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 02-27-2012 10:05 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.