What's wrong with my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you referring to the tank being cloudy?

Do you check your phosphate levels? If so what is it at? Are you using ro/di water or tap water?

How long has the tank been up?

Might be an alge bloom should go away you can always try some carbon to clear it up or if its alge get you some seachem phosguard

I don't check phosphate levels, I don't think I have a kit for that. I use reverse osmosis tap water but I condition it.

I don't have a skimmer I didn't think that was needed in a 10g.

The cyano has lessened but not much and I've had it for a couple months. I've used carbon in my filter but I took it out after about 6 weeks, it wasn't helping and it was a little messy.

Need to change it every week for it to be effective the carbon that is also if you really have to they make water clarifier you can put it but to me it looks like a alge bloom how old is the tank another thing is how much flow is in there is it to much flow and your are kicking the sand bed up??

It definitely looks like you need more flow. Add a couple powerheads to get more flow. Buy some carbon and place it in a mesh bag. Place it in your hang on filter. And change it out once a week.

From the looks of the picture it also looks like you're also battling red slime algae.

How much live rock do you have? Feeding schedule? Lighting?

what is reverse osmosis tap water? If your using tap, you may never get your tank straightened out. High phosphate, copper, metals, run off, pesticides, ect. The only to to condition tap is a rodi unit. You are fighting an uphill battle with tap.

Well, the advice I've seen given on this thread is a little jumbled up, so we should straighten things out.

1.) Carbon doesn't need to be changed every week. Not sure where that came from.. Normally it can last 4-6 weeks depending on the type.

2.) An algae bloom generally refers to diatoms and such that appear during/after the cycle. In this case it would be a Cyano outbreak.

3.) Skimmers are not required on tanks this small.

4.) Guys, you can't judge how much rock in weight someone has through a picture. There may be plenty of small holes in those rocks that we can't see here were bacteria is colonizing. If I were to judge by the picture
Middle coral skeleton- 3lbs
Left Rock- 4.5lbs
Right Rock- 4lbs.
Which gets us past 10lbs. Maybe the OP just prefers a minimalist look.

5.) Red Slime = Cyano

6.) I'm guessing that he has an RO/DI unit plumbed into a faucet, so that's where he gets the water from.

MY ADVICE:
Move the clown, they get up to 6" and the bioload from him his fueling nitrates for the algae.
Get a powerhead, a Koralia 240 or 425 will do you good.
Decrease feeding and lighting, and up the water changes.
Make sure the tank IS NOT in direct sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom