Whats your best phosphate media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJ-MIK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm using bright well extraxphos. And I'm not to sure of it yet. What is everyone else using?

BRS high capacity GFO has always worked very well for me, I run it in a two little fishies 150 reactor without issue.

Kalkwasser is not a phosphate media

I used BRS high capacity GFO as well, but I got tired of it clumping up. Never could get the flow through it quite right. Recently switched to Cobalt's anti-phosphate resin. Still testing it and the anti-nitrate resin out, but at this time I'm atleast convinced they are pretty equal in terms of efficiency. And if that is the case, and it continues long term, then I'd tank resin in a bag over clumpy media any day. The experiment continues.

BRS high capacity GFO has always worked very well for me, I run it in a two little fishies 150 reactor without issue.

Kalkwasser is not a phosphate media

First off kalkwasser is not a media! And kalkwasser precipitates phosphate, so I don't know where you got that from?

Kalk raises Phos?? That's not good.. I just oredered some to raise my ph..

Kalk raises Phos?? That's not good.. I just oredered some to raise my ph..

No it lowers your phosphates, but you should get pH buffer for that, lime water will do it as well but will also raise your alkalinity and calcium so be careful

I'm fighting synopses right now. So I'm trying to lower Phos and raise ph.. My ph is stable at 8. Can't get it to go up with bright well or kent buffer

First off kalkwasser is not a media! And kalkwasser precipitates phosphate, so I don't know where you got that from?

It temporarily binds the phosphate potentially storing among the various surfaces in your tank to be released later.

"If the calcium carbonate crystal is static (not growing), then this process is reversible, and the aragonite can act as a reservoir for phosphate. This reservoir can inhibit the complete removal of excess phosphate from a reef aquarium that has experienced very high phosphate levels, and may permit algae to continue to thrive despite all external phosphate sources having been cut off. In such extreme cases, removal of the substrate may even be required.

If the calcium carbonate deposits are growing, then phosphate may become buried in the growing crystal, which can act as a sink for phosphate, at least until that CaCO3 is somehow dissolved. Additionally, if these crystals are in the water column (e.g., if they form at the local area where limewater hits the aquarium water), then they may become coated with organics and be skimmed out of the aquarium. "

I used BRS high capacity GFO as well, but I got tired of it clumping up. Never could get the flow through it quite right. Recently switched to Cobalt's anti-phosphate resin. Still testing it and the anti-nitrate resin out, but at this time I'm atleast convinced they are pretty equal in terms of efficiency. And if that is the case, and it continues long term, then I'd tank resin in a bag over clumpy media any day. The experiment continues.

How quickly did the anti phosphate resin work? How long was it before you saw a noticeable difference?

I use regular ole BRS gfo in my reactors. Works very well for me, but I do get that clumping if I use the bRS reactor. I try to use my phosban reactors since it doesnt clump hardly at all in those but they are small for my big tanks. I;m looking to try the hi capacity gfo from BRS, is it really a huge difference? You guys who use it let me know. :)

Ahh ok, so it may prolong the useful life then....I don't run it that often so I probably wouldnt see a difference.

Thanks guys :)

Back
Top Bottom