Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
What's your favorite substrate grain size?

I was wondering what everyone's favorite grain size for aragonite substrate is.

Currently I have the Special Grade substrate and was looking for something a little smaller for my upcoming build. I was leaning towards fiji pink but I can't find it around here and the only other grain size I can find without ordering online is the oolite.

Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I like my grain size to be bigger. The smaller grain when I had it, it blew around everywhere. It also seemed harder to clean the smaller sand.

edwardclaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I happen to like a smaller grain sand, it;s especailly good for sifting critters. I have several tanks with different types of substrate and always go back to the smaller grains. I also have the pink fiji which I particularly like, it's too bad you cant find it locally.

If youre sand is blowing around then you need to adjust the flow, it's just a matter of finding the cherry spot for your powerheads.

The only time I think the smaller grain wouldnt be the best is with a very shallow tank, like a 20 long. Then you may have a hard time adjusting flow. My AC 70 used to blow the sand around in my 20L until I shortened the intake tube that is. The powerheads took some adjusting, quite a bit actually but it eventually was fine/
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have oolight and do not like it.. It kicks up easily!

It is however nice for sand sifting critters like previously said.
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
I have mine mixed, it tends to keep the finer sand down when cleaning the glass with a mag float or something and is just gine for inverts And Fish Like a wrasse or garden eels
ivan_dalmatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
I prefer substrate in the 1 to 2 mm grain size. My Mp10 doesn't blow it around at all and I can stir the top half with no sand storms.

Pschmitt is online now   Reply With Quote

size, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com