Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden
I had FW tanks when I was younger. (10 & 29 gal) My little boy wanted a "fishy" so I got him a 5 gal hex and a betta to see how he would do with it. He love it so I bought the current setup after reading for months.
That's a great idea for getting kids started. I remember some "fin"atic wanted to put a really difficult species in a huge tank in his toddler's bedroom. I wasn't looking forward to the likely posts to follow about how Jr. dropped his coloured markers in, or threw a toy against the glass. Kid's bedrooms should be safe enough to play with minimal supervision.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mom had black water fish when I was a baby, a whole mini eco system with its own never ending supply of tubifex worms, plants so lush the fish were a rarely glimpsed distraction, and several small schools of different tetras. My first tank was the ubiquitious bowl of gold fish, I was 6 and hooked. High school brought on betta breeding, a succession of bad luck with dwarf blue gouramis, good luck with other gouramis, and a planted tank of my own. College brought on my first salt water tank, a 10 gal nano with engineer gobies and live rock and an undergravel filter, when nano wasn't even a word outside of science fiction. Then a 29 gal was another undergravel filter affair with calcium carbonate chunks and 50lbs of live rock, a starved green mandarin, several lps and softies, and a serious bout of conscience after the mandarin affair. I successfully kept that tank going for quite a few years. Went off to join the Army and had a succession of tanks from 29 gal to 40 gal. During the patchup process from my little side trip to Iraq, got the 58 show tank which has been up since Feb 04 to help pass the hours not in physical therapy. That tank was the best investment in stress coping! Now I'm just about finished with the medical retirement process, purchased a home, and working on the next and last (I can fool myself can't I?) big project tank, the 135 over the 75 sump. Once I'm settled out with the VA I'll be going back to school to finish out my marine biology, ethnic studies, and fisheries management degrees (36 credits to go). Then hopefully on to a more peaceful job for the Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fisheries Commision, or its equivalent in the Pac NW. And child safety is a HUGE concern of mine, I have massive bouts of paranoia about my kid getting into the aquarium, falling into buckets, sumps, etc, throwing things, dropping weird food into the tank... so I've got enough hidden child safety locks to keep patent holders happy for decades.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzecawi
Mom had black water fish when I was a baby, a whole mini eco system with its own never ending supply of tubifex worms, plants so lush the fish were a rarely glimpsed distraction, and several small schools of different tetras. My first tank was the ubiquitious bowl of gold fish, I was 6 and hooked. High school brought on betta breeding, a succession of bad luck with dwarf blue gouramis, good luck with other gouramis, and a planted tank of my own. College brought on my first salt water tank, a 10 gal nano with engineer gobies and live rock and an undergravel filter, when nano wasn't even a word outside of science fiction. Then a 29 gal was another undergravel filter affair with calcium carbonate chunks and 50lbs of live rock, a starved green mandarin, several lps and softies, and a serious bout of conscience after the mandarin affair. I successfully kept that tank going for quite a few years. Went off to join the Army and had a succession of tanks from 29 gal to 40 gal. During the patchup process from my little side trip to Iraq, got the 58 show tank which has been up since Feb 04 to help pass the hours not in physical therapy. That tank was the best investment in stress coping! Now I'm just about finished with the medical retirement process, purchased a home, and working on the next and last (I can fool myself can't I?) big project tank, the 135 over the 75 sump. Once I'm settled out with the VA I'll be going back to school to finish out my marine biology, ethnic studies, and fisheries management degrees (36 credits to go). Then hopefully on to a more peaceful job for the Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fisheries Commision, or its equivalent in the Pac NW. And child safety is a HUGE concern of mine, I have massive bouts of paranoia about my kid getting into the aquarium, falling into buckets, sumps, etc, throwing things, dropping weird food into the tank... so I've got enough hidden child safety locks to keep patent holders happy for decades.
I'm glad the aquarium helps you out after your bout in the military. As a member of the air national guard, i've served over there as well. I'm fortunate enough not to have been injured at any point in my career in the military, an i'm separating in June. Six long years. And similar to you, i'm graduating from college in a month(can't wait). 135g over a 75g sump sounds really fun. I wish i had room to do something like that but that'll have to wait. Good luck with your new project!
Old 03-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Youth:

I had a small bowl with a goldfish or a beta one time. Then the family got a 20gallon from a relative. It became a mixed tank of friendly community fish. The beta got in there as well. One thing I do remember is it had thsi awsome rock (slate) wall that hung on the back of the tank and on the inside. IT was real heave but was beautiful and was real. Lots of fish and a crab we had liked to live underneath it. I remember we had a conch sheel in it and the algae eater lived inside of it.

After College:

Decided I wanted to get back into fish and had an apartment so said lets start with a 5gallon. Had some community fish. This tank got a crack i nthe plastic so I had to go purchase a 10 gallon tank. Made that into a community with fancy guppies that just keept reproducing. Was really awsome.

Soon after that I decided I needed somehting bigger so I purchased a 29gallon tank. Made this a mix of community and agressive fish. Right now this tank has 3 Kenyi Cichlids, 1 rosey barb, 1 zig-zag eel, 1 algae eater, 1 cory cat & 1 pleco. DOn't ask me how but it works. They are healthy and doing well. No nipped tails or anyhting. The momma Kenyi is actually mouth brroding eggs right now.

I decided to scrap the 10gaool FW tank after many of the members died and gave some fish to my girlfriend.

Got into SW and decided to take that 10 gallon and try a smal lreef setup. Had set up and runnign but could never get the algae under control or the parameters right. Tryed a molly in it but it died. So I sort of let it sit with the filter running and lights on and off for several months. Then about 5 months ago I got back into it and started doign work on the tank. Purchased an RO water purifier, realized poshpates were high and started using a phosphate remover. Added soem snails and now I have 3 corals and 1 damsel. GOing great.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasno999
Youth:
Made that into a community with fancy guppies that just keept reproducing. Was really awsome.
There's something really exciting about fish having babies. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hope of my clowns laying eggs. Not that i'm going to be able to keep them alive necessarily, but it'll still be really awesome.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
Yup got to love the fancy guppy

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com