What's your temp set at?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msuburg

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just curious - what temperatures are people keeping their tanks at, for a fish and reef system? (with some corals too)?

-matt

82. With my pump and MH lights, that's the lowest I can keep it at without a chiller. I do have a fan blowing across the water as well.

79F for me. Not sure if this is low or high so I am interesting in the responses to this thread.

79 with my Chiller.

This is also the same temp my LFS runs their huge Reef Display Tank.

Room temp is often 80+ in Lahaina! With chiller my 55 is 80-81. The 12 gal outside on the lani is 80-84, I am still trying to get that thing to stay at a level temp.

i'm running about 79. Do mushrooms and zoos prefer warmer temps in general? Am I at a good temp right now?

TIA,

matt

With my MH light and all the actinic and pumps and other gadgets, mine runs about 79-80 first thing in the morning to about 82 or 83 at its hotest. The wierd thing is that the hottest temp is not achieved until maybe 30 minutes oto an hour AFTER the MH goes off. This has always seemed weird to me, but I guess the bulb is dumping a lot of heat and the water grabs onto it. I tried running a lot cooler ~78 or 79 max, but my corals were not growing as much, so I went back up a few degrees.

what do you guys do to keep the temp down? chan is a chiller? how much do these cost? i'm interested because i just hooked up a mh light, and i know that these babies are hot! got some fans, but that's all

what are you guys doing to keep temp down? what is a chiller, and how much do they cost? We just got our mh lighting, and all we have is fans, and i'm a little concerned

I'm using a fan and a little chiller made for tanks 20g and smaller.

Point your fans so they blow across the water surface when your MH lights are on and observe the temp. No need to waste money on a chiller if the fans work for you. If the temp goes higher than what you desire than you might want to start looking into chillers.

A chiller is basicly a minifridge (well, bit more powerful), which cools water. Looking at $400+. Unless you live in a very hot climate, or have way too much light, etc etc, you don't need a chiller. :)

Although the little peltier chillers they make for nanos might be nessecary if you put MH lights over a small volume of water.

Back
Top Bottom