What's your thoughts on Thornback Cowfish in a 200g+ reef tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oliver_Klosoff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Like the title said I am thinking about a thornback cowfish (lactoria fornasini) also called a hovercraft boxfish. All this would happen years from now but I want to start making plans now. have any of you had experience with this fish?

Thanks Wayne

I've had two yellow boxfish and one cowfish..i forget what type he was. I loved them all. they do get sick very easily since they have no scales so be very careful when adding new fish(ich). They are also suppose to be kept with non-aggressive fish i think because they are slower eaters. These fish have the best personalities...they have even been known to squirt water at their owners once a bond is made. All of mine ate out of my hand and my cowfish would even come to the surface to see me. Just do lots of research on both the boxfish and cowfish (since they are very similar) and you will do fine.

Also be warned, they are extremly venomous if they choose to release their poison, which only happens if they are stressed or about to die, but if they do that venom will kill all of your tank inhabitants unless you catch the cowfish dying or releasing. It should also be said that it is apparently very, very rare for them to release their venom.

Thanks guys I have done a lot of research on both box and cowfish but I was hoping to get first hand opinion from some one that has kept a few. kms907 have you ever housed them in a reef tank?

Thank you Mitchell0605 for your help as well.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom