Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
What has been your toughest challenge so far reef keeping? Would love to hear what others have overcome,
Right now I'm in the midst of treating 12 fish in a 20 gal. I know I know should never have had to happen, but it's been a tough go the worst part is almost over. I started with a sponge filter out of my sump, and half a bottle of ati denitrifying bacteria and 25 or 50 % pwc daily.

Reeffanman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well am new to reef keeping and the list of mistakes are epic. First off i bought very bad live rock jammed packed with majano animone and apstasia. Then i bought fish that were infected with marine velvet witch am treating with copper at the moment. And now in my display tank with a frogspawn,1 acan, and 1 20 head button polyp all frags am fight very bad slim algea. But i have to say am still learning and very new to the hobby and am not going to let any of that detour me from meeping a reef tank. Oh am sorry i have a 55 gal bowfront with 15 pounds live rock and 50 pounds of dry rock. All the params are at 0 except nitrates 10 ppm. Am about to order calcium and phosphate test kits

Rnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Didn't tighten my plumbing enough and had leaks with 75 gallons of water already in. First mistake. Happened today. Managed to slide the tank get under the stand and fix it
75 Gallon Reef
Psychocircus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
By far mine was a 5 day power outage.

Was a long and rough experience. Even with the generator that i got after the first day. Required constant refueling and periodic breaks to take it easy on the engine. Never got more than 2 hours sleep before having to wake up and refuel or check things. This was also in the dead of summer 100 degree heat. Completely miserable with no AC and nothing to do. My wife and kid spent the week at the in laws living easy. I had to camp out in 3rd world ohio and baby my fish tank lol.

Ive never been more tired, hot, and bored in my entire life. Also the generator consumed over $150 in gas in those 5 days. The lines at the gas stretched for blocks. Only time ive ever waited 2 hours in line for gas. My fish are **** lucky i have patience.
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Prob the worst was a dino infestation. It attatched to everything...corals, fish, you name it. And, Atthe time the temp over here in CA was crazy and idisnt have a chiller. Tank got to 87 once. That was the worst. Lost a couple corals but in reality it wasnt too bad
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Fighting algae! I hate it!
h8z2luze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Keeping Goniopora. I failed miserably for over a year with a few different specimens. It wasn't until I packed my fuge with miracle mud did I have success. They don't do well in a nutrient free tank. I was putting them in a sterile environment, and that was the problem. Goni thrives in my tank now. Had one go from a golf ball sized piece, to as big as a cantaloupe in 6 months.

The other was ich. I know it's common, but it hit my Majesctic Angel (New addition) and I was committed to saving the fish. I read everything I could for 48 hours. I scoured the internet and I became obsessed with the parasite....to give you an idea, I even researched the effect of photoperiod sensitivity on the life stages of it. I put together a plan and I brought the Majestic back from certain death. It was the first time in 20 years I had defeated ich, and it wasn't by accident. It was a huge victory for me. And yes, UV sterilizers do work, but there is a trick that people miss when they use them that is needed to help with ich.
where's me money
Mr. Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
adding gobys! my first one died in 2 days, 2nd one died in 2 days

i dont know wtf it is, i test my water before AND at the shop, i acclimate for 1+ hour

as soon as they go under that rock, they dont come back out, my only guess is my pistol shrimp is trigger happy

also, i HATE these god forsaken test kits, everything is so hard to read except nitrite and ph
pairenoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Everything before I put water in. One example is I got a custom glass sump. My design wasn't the best according to an LFS employee, b/c I would have too much flow in my refugium so I had to send it to another LFS to redo the baffles. Then I found out it was 1/2" too wide! I had to get a carpenter to take one of the beams of the stand and put a smaller piece of wood so that the skimmer could get under there and fit.
“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Not throwing every penny I have into a bigger tank, cool coral,...whatever. I've battled algae, lighting, power outages...nothing is as rough as always wanting to go bigger and better.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com