Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

When Aiptasia attacks!!

So in my tank Aiptasia have decided to reproduce like crazy! Alot that I can not reach. Any good ideas on how to kill it off for good? Should I use shrimp? I do have a few dime size ones and most of the rest are pretty small. I thought about Aiptasia X but have heard bad reviews. Any thoughts?

Old 08-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Shrimp are hit or miss I've found. I have one single small aiptasia in my cube and 3 peppermints, not one will touch it. LOL I don't have any corals in the tank so I havent injected mine yet. You can inject kalwasser soultion as well as aiptasia X which I haven't heard anything bad about. Theres also a product called joes juice that people use. I think you can even inject them with lemon juice and that kills them as well.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Yeah I may just try the Aiptasia x or juice for myself and see how it goes. I know I could get a copper banded butterfly but I don't want to add a fish just for that purpose but idk I just want all of these gone so they don't keep reproducing.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I def wouldnt get that butterfly, what do you do when he's out of aiptasia? I've heard they are difficult fish to keep with dietary restraints. I;d try to inject them first and if you get tired of it you can just get some peppermints and see if they do the trick. Not to mention it's not a bad thing to have a few extra shrimp around, almost no bioload and they eat alot of the uneaten food.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Yeah I def do not want to add a butterfly it's just another larger bio load on my system too. The shrimp I think I'll try and hope for the best with injecting. There goes a weekend just killing Aiptasia haha. I need one of those Aiptasia zappers! Lol
Old 08-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL I've seen them on amazon.com. Little pricey though! hehe
Old 08-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Yeah I agree! Maybe I should study the diy way, but then again i also don't want to take the chance of zapping myself hahah!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you have so many just do a few each day, it'll get done eventually. My friend got her tank used and it was absolutely covered in it, some the size of golfballs. It took her a few weeks to get them all, she even bought peppermints and they did nothing. lol It's just a long process, you can do it though.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Yeah time and patience is for sure! Especially in this hobby lol. For years I've never had trouble with these buggers until now. It was bound to happen sometime lol.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You are inspiring me to take care of the single one I have. LOL It's been the same size for months, I just have been too lazy.....It's almost kinda pretty hehe...but yeah, I will inject that little bugger soon...

Tags
aiptasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com