When Aiptasia attacks!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cardinal3420

Aquarium Advice Freak
So in my tank Aiptasia have decided to reproduce like crazy! Alot that I can not reach. Any good ideas on how to kill it off for good? Should I use shrimp? I do have a few dime size ones and most of the rest are pretty small. I thought about Aiptasia X but have heard bad reviews. Any thoughts?

Shrimp are hit or miss I've found. I have one single small aiptasia in my cube and 3 peppermints, not one will touch it. LOL I don't have any corals in the tank so I havent injected mine yet. You can inject kalwasser soultion as well as aiptasia X which I haven't heard anything bad about. Theres also a product called joes juice that people use. I think you can even inject them with lemon juice and that kills them as well.

Yeah I may just try the Aiptasia x or juice for myself and see how it goes. I know I could get a copper banded butterfly but I don't want to add a fish just for that purpose but idk I just want all of these gone so they don't keep reproducing.

I def wouldnt get that butterfly, what do you do when he's out of aiptasia? I've heard they are difficult fish to keep with dietary restraints. I;d try to inject them first and if you get tired of it you can just get some peppermints and see if they do the trick. Not to mention it's not a bad thing to have a few extra shrimp around, almost no bioload and they eat alot of the uneaten food. :-D

Yeah I def do not want to add a butterfly it's just another larger bio load on my system too. The shrimp I think I'll try and hope for the best with injecting. There goes a weekend just killing Aiptasia haha. I need one of those Aiptasia zappers! Lol

Yeah I agree! Maybe I should study the diy way, but then again i also don't want to take the chance of zapping myself hahah!

If you have so many just do a few each day, it'll get done eventually. :) My friend got her tank used and it was absolutely covered in it, some the size of golfballs. It took her a few weeks to get them all, she even bought peppermints and they did nothing. lol It's just a long process, you can do it though. :-D

Yeah time and patience is for sure! Especially in this hobby lol. For years I've never had trouble with these buggers until now. It was bound to happen sometime lol.

You are inspiring me to take care of the single one I have. LOL It's been the same size for months, I just have been too lazy.....It's almost kinda pretty hehe...but yeah, I will inject that little bugger soon...

Lol! They would be fine if I didn't have corals to worry about lol. Have you seen the new Purple Chalice I just got last week? I got it on a trade as well as a montipora capricornis.

Oh, very nice! I've been wanting a chalice and a monti! Just havent gotten to them yet! LOl On my list though ;-)

They are beautiful. The Monti needs some TLC I think so I'm gonna try and get it back to full strength.

Attachments

• image-4063772106.jpg
    image-4063772106.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 185
  • image-2118212409.jpg
    image-2118212409.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 178
I hope so lol. I shut my halide off on that side just dont want to shock it. So it's just under t5s and LEDs at night. Also a piece broke off on the drive home so hopefully the frag grows lol.

I think I may have the same problem! Where can you buy needles to inject with? I have been looking online but they are rather pricey

I think if you buy Aiptasia X it comes with one. I'm in the medical field so Im just gonna use a 10 cc syringe and 20 gauge needle. It's also useful for water testing.

Oh rite cool! What are the affects of aiptasia? I know it is supposed to spread like crazy but is it harmful?

i had some on live rock and i just took out the rock and put it in some really hot water and killed it off like that but i had no coral or anything

Back
Top Bottom