when and when to feed ......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarstryng

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey all... so i have a red sea green chromis damsel a scooter blenny and a yellow clown goby..... i also have a white neon tip anenome.... when what and how often should i feed each of them.... the yellow clown goby doesnt seem to be eating, he just kind of hides in his spots and sits there, is that normal???? the blenny is always active, gliding across the bottom o f the tank and all over the live rock, seems like he eats off the bottom and the rocks.... the green chromis seems to be the only one eating really, he always gets all the food because he is really the only one swimming up top... what should i do? the white neon tip seems to eat the dried shrimp fine, sometimes it will let go of it though. does that mean it isnt hungry? how often should i feet it... i have been feeding it every other day or three days, one piece of the dried shrimp.... sometimes it catches flakes lol.... also wat kind of food should i feed these guys? is flakes ok for the fish, id like to keep them as healthy as possible, even if it is a little more pricey! thanks guys again your all great!

Frozen food once a day for all your fish and whatever else ends up in your tank. Flake foods are for the $.50 gold fish, not expensive saltwater. General dispersion will feed the entire tank, don't worry about target feeding any of your fish. The anemone needs high light more than it needs food. For actual food I'd say once a week, twice at most. I rarely feed mine.

Do not use flake or dry food...it is crap. Feed a nice vareity of froozen mysis, krill, squid or clams. Very small amounts. Try soaking it in a garlic solution to simulate appitite. As I mentioned in a previous thread, your anenome's main food source comes from light. Do you know what specis of anenome you have? What color is the foot, the arms and the tips? I think you may have added it a bit too soon. These are not a beginer animal and requires pristine water parameters and high light in order to survive. It would be best to bring it back to where you got it and let you tank run for another few months and try it again. Use that time to research anenomes, lightin and diets.

right on thanks, yes it is not the right lighting, im going to bring it back when i get a chance..... it is a white neon tip? it is all white, with a white foot and has purple tips.. not long tentacles.....

Sounds like it could be a very bleached anenome (meaning it needs more light). Taking it back is a great move. Yes, itis very bad if it dies in your tank. Dead anenomes are known to release toxins into the tank that will wipe out anything else in it. You do NOT want an anenome o die in your tank. Good call...Lando

damn it!!! i didnt know that, i had a salt tank years back anfd put a box fish in it, guess what happened??? the thing died and took all ym fish out with it!!!!! ok thanks alot i will make sure i get rid of it

is it bad if fish die in your tank though? my brown sebae clown died, but the other 3 are doing ok

An anemone can nuke a big tank in no time flat. My first anemone died after only a few days and tried taking everything else out with it. It was a small anemone in about 130+ gallons of water. My BTA on the other hand is doing great in the month or so I've had him.

OK, here's my follow up question. If you do not like flake, what do you feed herbivores? They do not naturally eat meaty items and will not survive long if that is all they are given. How do you deal with this, nori or macro?

I fish that dies in your tank can cause problems as well. Especially in a new tank. It can cause an ammonia spike as it decomposses and that can be seadly for the rest of the fish. More mature systems with a lot of biological filtration and a good clean up crew cn handle a loss like this with little effect. To be safe, always remove dead fish when you see them.

Madman...I feed nori to my tangs every other day. You can also by froozen algea cubes for the none-meat eaters.

I have been feeding my two new fish frozen food and Omega One Veggie Flakes on alternating days. Time to look for some frozen algae cubes I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom