When do i add clean up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willba200

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ow in week two of cycle. Can I add clean up crew yet ? Thanks

I would wair till the end of cycling, invertabrates can be sensitive depending on what you get. Also what are you trying to clean up?

Just a bit of algea. Not really a great deal of it. So best to leave it

You shouldn't have any algae during your cycle, unless you're running your lights...... If you are, shut them off. If you're not, then you have a bright light source close to the tank that you need to mask off. There are so many excess nutrients in the tank during the cycle that if algae gets a foothold now it can quickly become a problem before you even get started.
Algae needs light to grow..... an ounce of prevention now will save a pound of problems later.

Last edited:
Definitely wait until the cycle is complete. As stated before, there shouldn't be any algae unless your running lights. If so, leave them off during this process. My cycle just completed and I have no signs of algae. I did add two small hermits & a snail to help remove the shrimp remains to initiate the cycle. Hopefully that helps!

There's not a lot it's more like a grassy sort on the live rock

I was told by my lfs that my tank could get covered but will go after week or so

Well I chucked some fish food in last night.(old tropical food from last tank) some people do it I have read

Back
Top Bottom