when is my tank mature?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello everyone. my tank is 14 weeks old now and doing great. the test are where they should be and my livestock seems to be doing well. My questions is how do I know if I have a "mature" tank? I've been told that my 70 g's of water will take about 7-9 months to become totally mature.

The reason I ask is that I would like to get a blue star, as well maybe a bubble tip anemone in my tank and I was told the tank needs to be "mature" before I get those species.

The term "mature" may be a bit misleading. I think "established" is a better word. Months of waiting with stabel water parameters and high water quality constitute an established tank. You should have a large build up of biological filtration and a large supply of pods from the LR. Craline and benificial algea growth are also seen in an estalished tank. The word "mature" may be better suited for the tank keeper. As time goes on we learn more and more about the tiny ecosystems we keep in our homes. It is through this experince that we grow and mature as reef and fish keepers.

thanks. I guess a better way of asking this question then is what are the signs I should be looking for to see if my tank has become "established".

Look for the things I listed above...consistant and god water parameters, good bio-biological filtration, the presence of pods and other criters in the tank, growth of algea like coraline. This all just takes time. If you are looking for a number, I would say an established tank that has been running trouble free for the better part of a year.

My tank took a year before i felt the conditions were stable and again as lando put it, I was mature enough to try some advanced things.

My favorite saying ever in saltwater aquaria.........

Patience grasshopper................

but isn't it hard! with all the endless possibilities! must......resist......temptation......

You might want to do a little reading on sea stars. They are difficult to keep for any period of time. If the blue star you are refering to is a linkia then do some research. They are specialized feaders and require special care.

this is a bit of a newbie question but what are pods? what do they look like and or how do i know if i have them?

Back
Top Bottom