when to add cleanup crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
my tank is basicly cycled now, and i'm starting to get green algae on my glass, and 1 or 2 of my rocks is coated with brown diatoms. is it to early for me to get a cleanup crew?, my tank has been cycled for about 2 days now everything is 0 except nitrates their around 12 or so ph is 8.3 i havent added any livestock yet and my tank is 40 gallons, if i'm going to add a cleanup crew can anyone suggest what i add and how any etc tia

Turbo and astrea snails are good all around snails that work on the glass and rocks. A few ceriths snails to help out ont he sand bed. Some scarlet hermit crabs.

Add a around 5-10 of each kind for now. You will be able to juge if your tank needs more clean up crew later on. There are plenty of different kinds of clean-up crews. The ones I suggested are the ones I like so far and have kept in my tanks. Sometimes you will get a good nocturnal hitchhiker snail, Stormatella which is a bonus because they breed well in tanks.

Lots of options for clean up crews.

I purchased one of the clean up crews from liveaquaria before. I had no problems at all with there product and think they have great customer service. When i got mine, i didnt get the standard one like you linked to, i got one fo the larger packs, and found it to be overkill.

When i got a clean up crew for a 90 i purchased them from etropicals, which is a sister site to liveaquaria.

If you shop around you might be able to find somewhere online that sells them cheaper. You might also be able to find a LFS that has something in your area too

ive been to the lfs stores around here the pickins are very slim, and i found a couple that werent very knowledgable at all, they didnt even know what aptasia was lol

Back
Top Bottom