When to add supplements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok....i am getting so many mixed answers on this...
i do have a few corals and plan to have more.
what supplements show i use/add if any? not only the LFS tells me supplemens are good to use with a reef tank.
i have had ppl tell me the starting supplements for a reef tank is CA and ALK...
i know the whole theory about dont add it unless your testing for it....but should i test for it and then determine it i need it??

also how often does ppl test their water?? once a week?...once a day?

You should be testing your water before you start adding. Most of the time the water changes you do will replenish any lost trace elements.

I tested religously every other day until my tank stabilized pretty good. And now I test MAYBE once a week sometimes I will even skip a week inbetween. Tank has been running good for a year with no problems at all so I know there is no issues.

If you do regular water changes, there is no need for any supplementation. The exception to this would be if you had things that used up calcium faster than your water changes replenished it. I have not seen too many tanks where this is the case.

I agree with everyone else that you should not add anything because your water changes should replentish your trace elements. However you should get your water checked to see where you sit as far as your calcium and ALK goes to determine if maybe you should switch salts or if you need to add supplements. My calcium was way low when I was using IO (325), then I switched to Oceanic and its at about 465-470. I really didnt want to add supplements so thats why I switched salts. I just think adding supplements is too big of a hassle and not needed unless like Hara said
The exception to this would be if you had things that used up calcium faster than your water changes replenished it.

HTH

Agreed. regualr water changes is all you need to replenish suppliments in the water. LFS all have a habbit of talking hobbiests into expensive suppliments when they are not needed.

being every tank is not the same you need to test and if your numbers dont fall in range, then additives are in your future.
I need to dose daily even with monthly 20gal + water changes. I only dose alk and cal..
I tested every few days at first and as you learn what your tank uses testing is not needed as much.. I now test a few days after a WC and maybe a week after that to make sure what Im dosing is enough.
Just about everyone I know uses some alk and cal or a calcium reactor or Kalk..

Dont supplement here either. I get everything I need by PWC. And I have alot of corals. As mentioned earlier Oceanic salt will keep your Calcium up where it needs to be. It did for me anyway

It all starts with testing.. post some numbers when you do test..

A question for you is what do you consider supplements?

Back
Top Bottom