When to test parMeters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty Fraiser

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 110 gall reef tank and am fairly new to the hobby. I have decided to use a water testing company out of Colorado to help with water parameters. I do tests myself but once a month I am sending them a sample. My question is when should I pull the sample. I do 25 gall water changes every other week. Right bf a water change? Right after a change? Or in the gap bw water changes? Any thoughts? This is just a way of checking my results. I am dosing manually with aquavitro products if that matters.

Is this company testing your water or what you are dosing? If not you need to stop and get a test kit for whatever your are putting in your tank

I am testing myself. Just new to this ( 1 year). Thought I would just have them check bh me. Sometimes it is just hard for me to tell with these test kits. Bought an API kit and will be glad when its gone. Last parameters were
Amm o
Nrite .015
Nrate .9
Phos.01
Silica1.4
Pottasium321
Ionic calcium 199
Moly .1
Stron 5.9
Mag 950
Iodine .03
Alk 2.2
Total calcium 480
Copper .01
Bought a reactor and have been running phosguard for about a week now to try to reduce silicates. Any other big problems spotted with suggestions on how to fix them will be appreciated. Trying to raise alkalinity with aquavitro 8 - 4.

Wow your alk is crazy low... Hard to believe its a true reading.. Do yourself a favor and toss the API test kit in the trash.. Spend the extra money on Red Sea or Hanna checkers. What is it that you are dosing?

Mag is low to, I just test alk, mag and cal the others are usually kept in check with wc. Don't chase numbers keep the three in check and you will be fine. Of course the four to but when tank is established these are usually fine ph,nit, nat and amm.

Well, wasn't hard to talk me into chunking that thing!!! Will order new kits tomorrow. I am dosing all of the aquavitro products. Dosing more of the 8-4 aquavitro to bring the alkalinity up I hope. Wish they had more on their website to help you understand what products help what and more details on dosing. All corals are doing great it seems except the pulsating Xenia. It shriveled up from 8 inches to only a white spot on the rock!

Just figured out how to get my avatar to load as well! On a roll tonight!!!!

I'm wondering if your alkalinity reading is in meq/l vice dKh. If it is, 2.2 meq/l = 6.2 dKh, which is low but not as bad.

Sorry. Yes it is meq/l. It should be bw 2.5 - 5 according to aquarium water testing out of Colorado. Anyone else tried this service. Was just looking at the Red Sea tests a minute ago. Think I will try theirs. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom