Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

When will ammonia show?

We did a direct swap from a 75 gallon to a 210. The LF came and did it. He reused the sand. I'm concerned about an ammonia spike. Does anyone know what the normal time frame would be for one to show up? Is there anything else I should be watching for? It is a 210 gallon with a 75 gallon sump. Will the large volume of water help?

Old 02-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The larger volume will definitely help. I went from 55g to only 125g and had a slight spike the day of the move and maybe 2 days following. And it wasn't that bad only like .50 I think. But the only difference is I used new sand. You might get a spike just because of that unless it was rinsed.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks. That makes me feel better. He was not nearly as cautious with everything as I would have been but there was no way my husband and I could have handled it. Right now, if the fish hold a fin crooked, I panic. I have water ready. It's been 24 hrs and so far, no ammonia.

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com