When will this hobby slow down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a thought. Ellisz knows of some people who are doing it. I have to figure out what light needs to be filtered etc. The lighting would be the biggest expense so if that can be avoided it may be a good idea.
Thanks melosu....sounds like you are feeling better.

I have laughed more on this thread than I have in a long time... Thanks fo cheering me up... Thinking of the cost of my system is in no comparison to yours.... However, it is not going to stop anytime soon.... Always something out there to upgrade or suit the gotta havits.... :lol:

Ahhh. Natural sunlight in a greenhouse. Can you say CHILLER?!

I put the greenhouse in the ground 3 feet to help keep it cool/warm hopefully. It is double pane for insulation. But here you go.CHILLER :) It is just a thought...may never happen. Seems like everyone is thinking it is a bad idea so I will probably stay away. The big FOWLR tank has current priority.

I think its a great idea Brenden.. its been done before and it will be done again.. You might want to contact people that have done greenhouses (for propogation or other wise) maybe an email to Anthony Calfo?

500 bones a week sounds ridiculous. I think you should just open up your own public aquarium and charge people to look at it. You'd probably make money then. j/k

ha, yeah, but this hoby is crazy expensive. I have probably spent $1500 thus far to get where i am with this. So times that by 7 (size of your tank) and you get 10,500. and that's only for like 4 months. SO times that by 3 and you get 30k. So you're right on target with the 500 bucks a week thing i suppose. I bet you go through a 5 gallon bucket of salt in a week don't you?

I have spend about $3000 per year on my tank. The only way it will stop costing you so much, is if you make it stop costing so much.

I can not imagine spending $500 per week on my tank. If you have it and you have nothing else to spend it on, I say go for it. I personally can not afford this hobby.

There is a thread I read where the guy took a small green house and used the hard plastic swimming pools as the prop tanks and sump. I think he added a AC unit for those hot day and the heating issue in the winter was a concern but looked pretty cool.

I think having it inside with solor tubes would be neat. Not sure if it would be feasible though. My electric bill is not that bad yet :)

I know there are guys setting up full scale green houses too. Not sure if it is profitable though...

It slows down eventually. I've finally got my tank so there's no real room left. Took me two years. It's a 300.....but you got a 525???!!!

Merci....that could take a decade.

My advice....don't start adding it up......too scary. Hey, it beats being addicted to many other vices!!!!

Compare this to having a boat or a swimming pool for instance. Yep they all can be expensive. At least once your tank is established and stocked the expenses will wane and except for maintenance are voluntary. You could easily go six months without purchasing anything but water if you don't have your own ro/di system, salt mix, maybe some additives and feed.

Try that with your boat or your pool. You will soon have a green pool and a wet boat. Neither are preferred. You probably wont find yourself kicked back in an easy chair admireing how wonderfull your boat or pool has become either.

I sold the boat and have a pool.....No comparison. Here is a idea. Put the greenhouse over the inground pool = instant 30,000 gallon SW tank. Seriously this hobby takes a lot of time and money but it is enjoyable. If it was not we would not all be here now.

Good points brenden. Here are the facts for me though. I was insomniac with restless leg syndrome. I put the tank about six feet from my bed which is a pain but I have a Murphy bed so I can raise it and still have room to work on the tank when necessary.

I have worked my lighting schedule so the tank goes dark around ten. About a ten hour photo period. I try to lay down and start watching the tank around eight thirty. By lights out I am asleep and legs dont bother me.....Money well spent

dorian965 said:
yea, i got a 55 used with live rock and fish for 300 and ive spent 800 on filters,skimmers and power heads.havent even got around to lights and coral.

This sounds familiar. I bought fish, inverts, LR, and substrate from someone that was moving for $80. It was such a great deal that I couldn't resist, despite the fact that I had decided a few months earlier that it was too expensive...

So I had to buy a tank and stand. And then lights because there was one poor bleached anemone I tried to save. And the material to build a new stand because I wasn't happy with the old one. And several pieces of plexiglass as I experimented with sump setups, along with PVC for overflows and returns and a pump. But it was such a deal!

Of course, Hurricane Rita came and knocked out the power for three days. Grrr. Lost most of the inverts and one of the fish. The rest made a trip to TN in a 5 gallon bucket where they suffered for a month in a 29 gallon tank. Did get a deal on LR, though.

Back to LA, shelled out the money for a DSB to replace the CC. Also bought the skimmer I had been lusting over and had built the sump to hold...

But it was such a deal...

Of course, now it's set up, ready to morph into a reef tank instead of a FOWLR. *watches the money slip through her fingers*

Joleen

Back
Top Bottom