Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a thought. Ellisz knows of some people who are doing it. I have to figure out what light needs to be filtered etc. The lighting would be the biggest expense so if that can be avoided it may be a good idea.
Thanks melosu....sounds like you are feeling better.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:44 PM   #22

I have laughed more on this thread than I have in a long time... Thanks fo cheering me up... Thinking of the cost of my system is in no comparison to yours.... However, it is not going to stop anytime soon.... Always something out there to upgrade or suit the gotta havits....
Old 11-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am glad someone thinks it is funny well two of us do anyways
Old 11-04-2005, 10:03 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ahhh. Natural sunlight in a greenhouse. Can you say CHILLER?!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 10:09 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I put the greenhouse in the ground 3 feet to help keep it cool/warm hopefully. It is double pane for insulation. But here you go.CHILLER It is just a thought...may never happen. Seems like everyone is thinking it is a bad idea so I will probably stay away. The big FOWLR tank has current priority.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:48 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I think its a great idea Brenden.. its been done before and it will be done again.. You might want to contact people that have done greenhouses (for propogation or other wise) maybe an email to Anthony Calfo?
Old 11-05-2005, 03:59 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

500 bones a week sounds ridiculous. I think you should just open up your own public aquarium and charge people to look at it. You'd probably make money then. j/k

ha, yeah, but this hoby is crazy expensive. I have probably spent $1500 thus far to get where i am with this. So times that by 7 (size of your tank) and you get 10,500. and that's only for like 4 months. SO times that by 3 and you get 30k. So you're right on target with the 500 bucks a week thing i suppose. I bet you go through a 5 gallon bucket of salt in a week don't you?
Old 11-05-2005, 09:37 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have spend about $3000 per year on my tank. The only way it will stop costing you so much, is if you make it stop costing so much.

I can not imagine spending $500 per week on my tank. If you have it and you have nothing else to spend it on, I say go for it. I personally can not afford this hobby.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

There is a thread I read where the guy took a small green house and used the hard plastic swimming pools as the prop tanks and sump. I think he added a AC unit for those hot day and the heating issue in the winter was a concern but looked pretty cool.

I think having it inside with solor tubes would be neat. Not sure if it would be feasible though. My electric bill is not that bad yet

I know there are guys setting up full scale green houses too. Not sure if it is profitable though...
Old 11-11-2005, 12:55 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It slows down eventually. I've finally got my tank so there's no real room left. Took me two years. It's a 300.....but you got a 525???!!!

Merci....that could take a decade.

My advice....don't start adding it up......too scary. Hey, it beats being addicted to many other vices!!!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com