When will this hobby slow down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
How long am I going to be required to dump money in this hobby at the current rate? I know I am "stocking" corals etc now. If you would have told me how much I would have spent over the the last month on this money pit I would have laughed at you. Tell me it will slow down soon.

yea, i got a 55 used with live rock and fish for 300 and ive spent 800 on filters,skimmers and power heads.havent even got around to lights and coral. i had no idea. 525 gallons is a nightmare to me. i couldnt pay to feed them and keep the power on. 8O

Once you get all the corals and little things you want it will slow down. You could try going a cheaper route with corals by purchasing frags, this is also cool becuase you will be able to watch them grow.

Lol.....maybe you should have reconsidered buying a tank large enough to give scuba lessons in.

Maybe you will slow down sooner or later to let your stock grow out some.. Its not like you don't have room for huge coral colonies to grow from your frags.. :p
Just think, next thing you know you'll be asking about how to set up your propogation system :p

greenmaji said:
Just think, next thing you know you'll be asking about how to set up your propogation system :p

To think.. I thought that was a good thing.. thats more $$$$$$ :p
maybe after selling all those frags it might start to pay for itself.. :biglol:

I'm starting to think this hobby is like what they say about boat owners. Their 2 best days are when they buy the boat and when they sell it :).

It's like this: you start with an empty tank and then spend thousands so you can view fish that cost hundreds, and when ich hits, you're left with a an empty tank! All things come full circle.

Mike

$500/week!! Well, I certainly don't spend that of course, my tank is about 1/10th of yours. Soon to be about 1/5th with my 120 gal.

Although given that, I don't spend $50/week either. Even if I include water, electric bill upper, etc., I'm looking at maybe $20/week. That would be pure maintenance - no stocking.

Funny you mentioned the propagation tank. I am building a 25X12 glass house for my wife for palm trees and things. After talking with ellisz we are talking about installing 2-10'X3' prop tanks in it.

When will it slow down you ask!? OMG! I can't believe you spoke of slowing down AND a prop tank in the same post! LOL! Yeah, you're an addict alright! How much money you think the 10'x3' prop tanks are going to cost you?! By the time you add a skimmer, a sump, rock, killer pumps, the Ca reactor, 10 mh fixtures (may as well make the prop tanks 2' wide) ...

It doesn't end!

If you got the money spend it. Brenden I will do what we talked about next week.

Back
Top Bottom