Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
when you start adding ls and skimmer

well it appears my cycle is done after a very short while, im a little leary of putting any fish in just yet. how long should i wait? and when should i start my proteim skimmer, i didnt start it up yet i was waitin for the cycle to complete

Old 05-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
The skimmer you can start running now you will have little skimmate but thats normal with no occupants in the tank. The LS you spoke about in the topic should have been added in the initial setup of the tank. Few questions for you though, what type of tank are you starting, FO, FOWLR, reef? How long did the cycle last and how did you cycle? What are your water params now?

JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry i meant livestock like fish i already have a 3" or so ls bed sorry for the confusing question
Old 05-08-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh my cycle lasted about 10 days, i cycled with 60 lbs of live rock 45 or so of which was fully cured,and i want to add some corals and such when my tank is mature so it wont be fo and my parameters as of this morning are ph 8.3 , ammonia 0 , nitrite 0 , nitrate 10-15 cant really tell on the color card ,
Old 05-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
10 days does seem VERY suspicious for a tank to fully cycle. How did you cycle the tank?
JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

with just the lr ls and a couple shrimp, the highest my ammonia got was 0.1 and the highest my nitrite got was 1.5 or so then it subsided
Old 05-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

my skimmer didnt produce anything until after i put my LR in. After that its been sucking out brown gunk ever since.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

that does sound odd for it to be done cycling already. if it were my tank i would take the slow road and just watch for at the very least another week and just see what happens. it would suck to get live stock in there and then everything going out of wack the next day.

Tags
skimmer, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com