Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Where are my scarlet hermit crabs???

I have 3 scarlet hermits in my 30g tank, at least I had them for past 7 months. Recently I realized that I did not see them in a while, about two weeks. Where they can be? I don't see theirs shells laying around, they completely disappeared. Any thoughts on that?
They would hide before for a day or two while molting, but never all three of them at the same time.
They disappeared about the same time I upgraded lights from power compacts to LEDs.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Mine are mostly nocturnal, but I see one every once in a while during the day. Grab a flashlight and carefully check out your tank a few hours after the lights have gone off.

Do you have extra (larger) shells for them to move to as they grow? If you don't, they won't make it very long out of their shells while looking for new ones......

Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
Mine are mostly nocturnal, but I see one every once in a while during the day. Grab a flashlight and carefully check out your tank a few hours after the lights have gone off.

Do you have extra (larger) shells for them to move to as they grow? If you don't, they won't make it very long out of their shells while looking for new ones......
I think they are gone! I found two out of three shells - empty! Why so suddenly and why all three at the same time.
Yes I have entry of larger shells for my crabs, I don't think that was a problem.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have various different types of hermits in my tank. The red tipped and blue tipped ones are the only ones I see out in the open. My blue, Scarlet, yellow and halloween tend to stay more hidden in the rocks and crevases. The upgrade to more intense lighting may have sent them to shadier areas now. None of them appear very active at night either, so that might not help find the missing guys.

Tags
crab, crabs, hermit, hermit crab, hermit crabs, scarlet hermit crabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com