Where are my Shrimp??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blrrobinson21

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,
About a week ago I got a fire shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. They have been doing great until today, I got home tonight to find out that, I cant find them. They both seemed fine when I left this morning but now im not sure, I was gone for about 10 hrs. Ive got a 100 gallon tank with a 5" naso tang, 2 yellow tangs, a tomato clown and a bi colored angel. I also bought a sandshifing star fish with the shrimp. "he seems to be fine" My parimeters are am.-0 Ni-0
Na-60. Salintity is 1.024 temp is 78-80. The cleaner shrimp had also been doing good and started cleaning the fish 15 min after arriving in the tank. Here is the kicker while searching the tank I saw what was once a part of the fire shrimps leg and I think the fan part of his tale. He was about an inch and a half to two inches long and the cleaner was about an inch. Im hopping you this could be them molting but I have my doubts. When shrimp molt, does the skin still hold its color? Do I have anything in my tank that would've killed them?

my guess is a molt for sure. the molts do retain the color. and when the shrimp do molt, they hide because they are vulnerable because of their softerr shell for a few days, i wouldn't worry.
Good luck! =]

I have to agree. the first time my cbs molted I thought it had died on me. He does that about once a month or so...

I have a few peppermints and when they molt, the old shell is clear. If they molt, either way, you should be able to see a good chunk of the old she=ll somehwere. I thought I lose one the first time that it happened. Luckily I can get all around my tanke and look in the bakc and saw it's head sticking out of a crevice in the rock.

Well I only have about 50 lbs of LR so I would think I could see them. Its weird that the both of them are doing this the same time. Its also weird that the only sign of a shrimp is a leg off the fire shrimp. If they were to both die would the fish or hermit crabs eat them? How long after they molt do they usually come back out of hiding?

Back
Top Bottom