Where, oh where, has my anenome gone? Where could it be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obmanta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok all, I just bought a anenome from my lfs and placed it in the tank. It's gone, or at least I can't see it. It must have moved last night. Don't they realize that they are not suppose to stray away. It's mine, I bought it, it's not suppose to move. :)

Do these things hide in the rocks for a little and then come out into the middle of the tank look pretty and then just sit? :)

How can I get it to come back out into the light? At least I know its not out of the tank. got covers on the tank and the aquaruim is pre-drilled with over flows. Hey, I ddint check the sump though!!!. Could it be in there?

Obmanta

Oh man, now I'm gonna have that song in my head. :lol:

Some anemone's will hide in the rocks til they get comfortable in the new tank. Some take longer than others to come back out. As for it coming out and sitting pretty in the middle of the tank, good luck with that. lol They wander around a bit til they find the perfect spot, with perfect light and waterflow. That could be anywhere in the tank, even behind the rocks. You'll just need to wait it out.
Do you have all your ph and filter intakes covered? Hopefully it didn't get sucked up in to one of them. It won't live through that.

when i was away these couple of weeks, my red anemone got suck up in one of my power head because the form came lose for some reason and my water is all cloudy and my tomato clown die a couple of days ago too :(

Chances are you anemone is either down your overflow, in a pump, or chopped up in a powerhead. In order to successfully keep anemones you must cover all filter intakes with a sponge or something the anemone cant get through.

obmanta - what kind of anemone did you purchase and what's your tank size and lighting? How long is has tank been setup? tell us more

Fuvi-The death of the anemone caused your water qaulity to turn to poop. The major ammonia from the decaying anemone could have caused the deaths.

Well I found the varment!!! He is hiding under some rocks near where I placed him. HE has been there for about 3 days now. WIll he ever show his face again? My understanding is that eventually he will come out and bask under the Metal halides I have here for him. :)

If not, I wasted $9 for a Condi anenome.

Thanks all for your help,

Obmanta

He's not used to the mh. It may take a couple of weeks for him to get used to them. He will probably come out more at night than day for awhile.

when I had my bubble tip under the PCs he went into hiding, but when I switched over to MHs he came out to the top dead center of the tank (thats car lingo) :roll:

I just got a new purple LTA and I totally feel your frustration. It absolutely refuses to attach its foot (its not damaged) and so I have had to result to a tie down to keep the tunze from blowing it into the water column. But I am sure that once it decides to "stick" it won't stick in once place for long.
My advice is if you get it to park somewhere, don't touch anything lol as soon as you tweak a powerhead, etc. etc. it will take off to the races again.

You tied down an Anemone??? I can't believe I just read that? That is crazy..
How about shutting off the tunze for 4-5 hours so the poor creature can get a foothold. Anemones are delicate critters and should only be kept in mature tanks with proper lighting and great water quality. It kills me when people don't do research on something before they buy it.
Ok, off my soap box

Obmanta, how did you acclimate the anemone to your tank? What type of water are you using

heheh whhhhoooaaaa boy. Hold up there sparky. Actually I wrote in to wet web media and got the idea from a direct reply from Bob Fenner. You take some soft netting like cheese cloth and weight that down with your rock work or use fishing line. This creates a loose zone over the anemone that doesn't allow it to be picked up and blown around.
I have an 18 month old tank with 4X400W XM MHs for light. I use RO/DI water for everything, and my water quality could take the pepsi challenge with natural sea water any day of the week. I acclimated the anemone with about a 4 hour slow drip with the bag floating to keep temp stable.
Its 7:15 a.m. so i'll give your horrible attitude and conclusion jumping hissy fit the benefit of the doubt. It just kills me when people don't do their research before they flame people who did.
Ok, off my soap box

Thanks sparky

"This long tentacle anemone has been taking a while like 2 hours and still isn't sticking. I turned off the powerheads so that he can have a chance to stick without floating to the corner of the tank. Any suggestions?"

<Good idea on turning off the powerheads... Like you say, some species, individuals stick right away, some never do... Very frequently these animals (actinarians) have torn bases... from rough collection... A tried and true "trick" is to use some soft netting or similar material to tie the animal down temporarily... weight the ends/corners down with some small rocks. Good luck. Bob Fenner>

Sorry if I came off too strong.. I like the description on how you tired/held it down now. :wink:
When you just said tied down I pictured it wrapped up with fishing line like some hog tied cattle 8O

And I was not and did not mean to direct the water quality, mature tank statement at you, I was just making a blanket statement based on many posts on this forum.
So many people just buy these anemones after a LFS tells them its ok to have them in a tank and they do not research it before hand.
Again sorry for the miscommunication Brisco.

No sweat, I appologize for my rudeness as well. Early and offended are bad times to post, hopefully one day our computers will tell us to have another cup of coffee before we start typing lol. For what its worth i think the foot took hold this morning. The technique really worked well. rather than blowing around inside the net it was wedge among some rocks I placed within the net, so hopefully I can remove it tonight.

Back
Top Bottom