Where to add GAC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im wondering where in the flow of water should GAC be placed? Is it ok to just add some to my filter sock?

When I run GAC on my system I have a pair of hob filters that I put on my return sump and run them for a day or to what ever I need. I don't know about putting it in a filter sock as I don't use them...

Anywhere that water can't easily bypass it so filter sock is fine and replace weekly. Of course give it a good rinse first.

Ok cool, how much would you recommend for a 60g with 10g sump?

/me goes to run to update his myinfo :eek:

I haven't used GAC in quite a while and switched up to Purigen instead which I like better but I always used one cup of GAC on my 55 gal personally.

Purigen costs a little more than GAC but can be regenerated multiple times so in the long run it's cheaper.

Interesting thread on Purigen.

Thanks for the link and info!

Edit:

Hmm after reading that, and seeing even borneman is using it I think I will give that a go. It seems Purigen will remove pollutants but not the items corals require to thrive in the aquarium, thanks again for the link.

I agree that Purigen or chemi pure are good. I use them instead of GAC because IMO they work better and last longer. They are more expensive but last quite longer making them cheaper in the long run. As far as where to put them. Anywhere where there is good flow.

I use purigen, thanks Tec! I have had it in my filter for a little over a week and have seen a very nice result. I also have some GAC, in there (100g for my 55G), but will be removing that this weekend. I just wanted to clean up my water, after a super thorough cleaning.

I use about 3/4 cup of GAC in a HOB on my 46gal tank (110lbs LR). How long can I leave the GAC in the filter before it is necessary to change it?

GAC does not last as long as the synthetic resins. I would change it after 1 to 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom