Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Where to buy fish

After my previous ordeal with the local fish store I am starting to think that they have no idea what they are talking about. You could ask the same question, and get a different reply from each employee. My questions is are there any really good online store that anyone could recommend? Or are the online stores a bad idea? I would love any advice. Thanks!

Old 03-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
livaaquaria.com fishsupply.com there may be others that chime in.......

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

I dont like online stores just for the simple fact that you dont get to c the actual fish you will be receiving before u buy it. So basically is a crap shoot wether or not u r gettin wut u pay for. Also there is a lot of illnesses out there that a fish ordered off line could be carrying. Try to find a good fish store somewhere near you. Where do u live? Maybe someone here lives near you and can recommend a good store.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I live in Santa Rosa California an hour and a half north of San Francisco.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:13 PM   #5

saltwaterfish.com is a good website
Old 03-21-2006, 05:54 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Hello All,
I am a new member. I have found http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/ seems to have the best prices on supplies (I have been steadily getting ripped off at my local store), so I will at least start ordering supplies from here and let you all know how it goes. I have found http://www.liveaquaria.com to have good prices (again, still being raked from my local store). I will keep going there for the cheaper fish, (I just paid $16 for a pencil urchin) where I could have paid $8 at liveaquaria.com or $5 at saltwaterfish.com. But I can go into the store, see something I like and talk to the "fish lady", she is very knowledgable (and she test's my water for free).
I am a noob at the SW hobby, only about 2 months now and no fatalities. I have 2 Yellow tail damsels, 2 three striped damsels and a blue devil damsel, in my 50 Gallon tank, with a pin cushion and pencil urchin, and all the other neat stuff that grows on the live rock and the other stuff that comes out of the live rock at night. The reason I got into it is, I like to SCUBA and have seen many of these fish in their natural environment.
I read a ton of stuff on setting up and and how hard it is to keep. I haven't had much difficulty yet.
My 1st water change went well, except I stressed out the fish a little bit and some one chewed on my Blue Devil (he is the most aggressive of the tank, so that kind of surprised me).
I talked to a bunch of people and I figure I did the water change ALMOST correctly....maybe next time, I'll get the PH set up AS WELL as the Salinity and Temp...I think that was the problem....
Anyways, I hope to hear from you folks and any advice will be taken kindly....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

When buying online it is very important to look beyound just the price of the fish. Other things to consider are shipping costs (overnight shipping is the only way to go), package/box fees and what type of warrenty the company offers. I am a fan of www.liveaquaria.com for online ordering. I have had good luck with them. They offer a 14day warrenty and a flat shipping fee with no extra package/box fees.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i agree i love liveaquaria.com also thats where i got most of my fish from
Old 03-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #9

does liveaquaria.com take paypal?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
no they dont

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com