Where to buy fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
After my previous ordeal with the local fish store I am starting to think that they have no idea what they are talking about. You could ask the same question, and get a different reply from each employee. My questions is are there any really good online store that anyone could recommend? Or are the online stores a bad idea? I would love any advice. Thanks!

I dont like online stores just for the simple fact that you dont get to c the actual fish you will be receiving before u buy it. So basically is a crap shoot wether or not u r gettin wut u pay for. Also there is a lot of illnesses out there that a fish ordered off line could be carrying. Try to find a good fish store somewhere near you. Where do u live? Maybe someone here lives near you and can recommend a good store.

I live in Santa Rosa California an hour and a half north of San Francisco.

Hello All,
I am a new member. I have found http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/ seems to have the best prices on supplies (I have been steadily getting ripped off at my local store), so I will at least start ordering supplies from here and let you all know how it goes. I have found http://www.liveaquaria.com to have good prices (again, still being raked from my local store). I will keep going there for the cheaper fish, (I just paid $16 for a pencil urchin) where I could have paid $8 at liveaquaria.com or $5 at saltwaterfish.com. But I can go into the store, see something I like and talk to the "fish lady", she is very knowledgable (and she test's my water for free).
I am a noob at the SW hobby, only about 2 months now and no fatalities. I have 2 Yellow tail damsels, 2 three striped damsels and a blue devil damsel, in my 50 Gallon tank, with a pin cushion and pencil urchin, and all the other neat stuff that grows on the live rock and the other stuff that comes out of the live rock at night. The reason I got into it is, I like to SCUBA and have seen many of these fish in their natural environment.
I read a ton of stuff on setting up and and how hard it is to keep. I haven't had much difficulty yet.
My 1st water change went well, except I stressed out the fish a little bit and some one chewed on my Blue Devil (he is the most aggressive of the tank, so that kind of surprised me).
I talked to a bunch of people and I figure I did the water change ALMOST correctly....maybe next time, I'll get the PH set up AS WELL as the Salinity and Temp...I think that was the problem....
Anyways, I hope to hear from you folks and any advice will be taken kindly....

When buying online it is very important to look beyound just the price of the fish. Other things to consider are shipping costs (overnight shipping is the only way to go), package/box fees and what type of warrenty the company offers. I am a fan of www.liveaquaria.com for online ordering. I have had good luck with them. They offer a 14day warrenty and a flat shipping fee with no extra package/box fees.

i agree i love liveaquaria.com also thats where i got most of my fish from

Sorry for posting incorrectly.....

Thanks Lando for the reply. Also, I am sorry for posting my "i'm new" in the wrong section, I was a little excited and got carried away! Anyway, I think I will buy livestock from my local store, in Charles Town, Wv. I was really surprised to see the selection in such a small town. I think I will order my "dry good" online, since I can order them in bulk and a heck of a lot cheaper.

I've been happy with both liveaquaria.com and saltwaterfish.com. Fish from both online stores have been healthy and acclimated well. Both have great customer service, but saltwaterfish.com takes a little longer to respond to questions. Hope this helps.

is there an online sight that sells fish with paypal because i dont have a credit card

Check out fish supply.com They are semi-close to you. Everything I have got from them has been better than LFS and liveaquaria.

Has anyone ever done a little Martix of the online fish stores, minimum order $, Shipping $, Extra Fees (Box Fee, Gas Surcharge, etc), and maybe a "score" from feedback from people who have ordered from there.

I know on other Fish Forums (some hosted by the Online Stores) you can get banned for even breathing the name of a competitor.

I ordered my Cleanup Crew from ETropicals.com (and they forgot to send the Pep. Shrimp, but they are now on the way), and I just placed my first fish order thru LiveAquaria.Com...

SW2

Back
Top Bottom