Where to buy food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to get some differents food for my fish. I have a snowflake, trigger, couple of damsels, rock crab and a bunch of snails. I was looking for stuff like, scollops, clam, krill...anything with nutrion for them. Or do I just go to the seafood couter at the supermarket and get some scollops and clam? Any help would be great.

thanks

It would definetely be cheaper to buy stuff from the grocery store and create your own 'Reef Mash". I've seen a few good recipe's on the Internet.

Search on this site, similar topics have come up a few times, and one was fairly recent if I remember correctly. Try a search for "Blender Mush".

Go to the seafood counter and get the freshest of the follwing you can find. You don't need all of it but the more the better.

Fish (not fatty)
scallops
squid
clams or oysters
uncooked shrimp
crab (shelled)
anything else that looks good

Chop it all up in small pieces. Put it in a blender or food processor. Throw in a few healthy pinches of flake food. If you have any Krill add some of it too. Add a couple crushed multi vitamins (the people kind). Add a sheet or so of unseasoned Nori (seaweed used for wrapping sushi available at Oriental restaraunts) and enough water to make a mush. If you want (I do) add a packet of Knox unflavored geletin to hold it together better when feeding. Mix the geletin in a small amount of boiling water before adding it. Blend some more. Pour this into pint ziplock bags until it is about 3/8-1/4" thick when the bag is flattened out. Lay the bags flat on a plate and put in the freezer. When frozen pull a bag out and chop it up into 1/2" cubes (or so). Put these into another baggie and store in the freezer.
ps. don't do this when the wife is home. 8O

Back
Top Bottom