Where to find good base rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry all, meant to tack this on to my last post, but I forgot because I'm special like that. :? Does anyone know where I can find good inexpensive base rock? Online stores are fine, and if anyone knows of any in MI then that'll work also. I can't justify spending a lot of money on some rocks when I could use it to help my to-be inhabitants in other aspects of the tsnk. I had a site where I could get 50lbs. for $75 (shipping included) but I lost it. So, any help would be greatly appreciated!

On a similar note, is there a specific type of LR that we should be putting in our tanks, or does just the porosity matter?

I've purchased base rock from Hirocks for fragging - FWIW, it's very dense (not at all porous) and heavy. I don't think it's *bad*, but I wouldn't use it for all the base rock in my tank.

I've also heard good things about www.reeferrocks.com (no personal experience).

On a similar note, is there a specific type of LR that we should be putting in our tanks, or does just the porosity matter?

When you say "LR" - I'm assuming you are including only rock that comes from the ocean? If not, I wouldn't use most "land" rocks, unless you have a source for a type of rock that is porous, and also absolutely free of contamination, and traces of heavy metals. As far as true "LR" goes - ppl like different kinds for different reasons --

Fiji - heavy coraline encrustation, economical
Marshall Island - Beautiful shapes/formations
Aquacultured - Abundance of life, minimal to zero impact to natural reefs.

There are others, but those are the "big three".

HTH,

Actually, myabe my experience may be different from ReefLady regarding Hirocks. I just got a shipment of 120Lbs. of base rock form them and they are gorgeous. Very porous, lots of little nooks and crannier and some with caves in them even. I guess YMMV in dealing with them. I am very pleased with what they sent, encrused with calcerous specimens - shells etc. Very nice stuff. You may want to check e-bay under hi-rocks. This is what I did. I bid for it there and won it paying less than if I purchased it from their website. Good luck. 8)

just another thought,

My LFS sells this tan coloured rock that is very porous. If I wanted to use that for dry rock, what would I have to check? Does it need to be a certain material or just contaminant free?

You want to be sure that the rock is calcium based and contaminant free and designed for marine aquarium use. Just inquire about where it came from. 8)

My experience was a little different than reeflady as well, but I bought rock from them more than once and one shipment was definitely better than the other....I would recommend it for baserock to anyone, with no problems.

Do it through E-bay. definitely better prices there. Let me know if I can give you any more information on that and I'll be happy to tell you what I can. :D

Back
Top Bottom