Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2003, 12:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Where to find good base rock.

Sorry all, meant to tack this on to my last post, but I forgot because I'm special like that. Does anyone know where I can find good inexpensive base rock? Online stores are fine, and if anyone knows of any in MI then that'll work also. I can't justify spending a lot of money on some rocks when I could use it to help my to-be inhabitants in other aspects of the tsnk. I had a site where I could get 50lbs. for $75 (shipping included) but I lost it. So, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 09-02-2003, 09:54 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I think some of our members have goten rock from hirocks.com

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 01:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

On a similar note, is there a specific type of LR that we should be putting in our tanks, or does just the porosity matter?
Old 09-02-2003, 03:47 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I've purchased base rock from Hirocks for fragging - FWIW, it's very dense (not at all porous) and heavy. I don't think it's *bad*, but I wouldn't use it for all the base rock in my tank.

I've also heard good things about www.reeferrocks.com (no personal experience).

Quote:
On a similar note, is there a specific type of LR that we should be putting in our tanks, or does just the porosity matter?
When you say "LR" - I'm assuming you are including only rock that comes from the ocean? If not, I wouldn't use most "land" rocks, unless you have a source for a type of rock that is porous, and also absolutely free of contamination, and traces of heavy metals. As far as true "LR" goes - ppl like different kinds for different reasons --

Fiji - heavy coraline encrustation, economical
Marshall Island - Beautiful shapes/formations
Aquacultured - Abundance of life, minimal to zero impact to natural reefs.

There are others, but those are the "big three".

HTH,
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 03:57 PM   #5
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Actually, myabe my experience may be different from ReefLady regarding Hirocks. I just got a shipment of 120Lbs. of base rock form them and they are gorgeous. Very porous, lots of little nooks and crannier and some with caves in them even. I guess YMMV in dealing with them. I am very pleased with what they sent, encrused with calcerous specimens - shells etc. Very nice stuff. You may want to check e-bay under hi-rocks. This is what I did. I bid for it there and won it paying less than if I purchased it from their website. Good luck. 8)

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 01:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh, I meant dry rock. Why couldn't you use "lava rock"?
Old 09-03-2003, 01:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

just another thought,

My LFS sells this tan coloured rock that is very porous. If I wanted to use that for dry rock, what would I have to check? Does it need to be a certain material or just contaminant free?
Old 09-03-2003, 01:29 PM   #8
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
You want to be sure that the rock is calcium based and contaminant free and designed for marine aquarium use. Just inquire about where it came from. 8)

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:20 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
My experience was a little different than reeflady as well, but I bought rock from them more than once and one shipment was definitely better than the other....I would recommend it for baserock to anyone, with no problems.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:05 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Interesting info. about Hirocks, Sam & Hara -- I'll have to give them another chance sometime!

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
base, base rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com