Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-29-2004, 07:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Where to find silversides, Nori

So, where can I find them? A LFS had frozen silversides. Would these work for blender mush? Would the little tiny feeder minnows work? The only thing the grocery store has is like cod and salmon. Any suggesstions on where to look for Nori? Off to check the water params. =]

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
The frozen silversides would work, the feeder minnows, unless SW fish, are not good for your SW critters. I go to a fish market for my mush ingredients, but in a fishing town on the ocean...throw a rock and you'll hit one. I use only fresh ingredients, but if that weren't an option for me, I'd use what I could.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:48 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
the cod will work wonderfully, the oils and nutrient content are quite high. Use the whole fish....no sense paying exhorbitant prices for silversides when you are going to blenderize it anyway. Also, around here, silversides are hard to come by late winter and early spring. I have been told that they are a seasonal item, taken by the fishermen only during certain times of the year. Other things to toss in the mix would be bay scallops, shrimp, crab, squid etc. Just about anything found at the seafood counter.

Nori can be found in chinese markets and also online at a place called raw health.
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Some regular grocery stores have nori too. Our local Giant Eagle has it, as does our lfs.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com