Where to get brine shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Where could I buy some brine shrimp??? at the seafood section of fred meyes?? LOL havent bought any brine b4 but I eat regular little shrimps.

at the pet shop or order the eggs from ebay or the such adn hatch them yourself really easy from what I understand I jsut get mine from hte shop for now

What are you going to feed the brine too? Not the best nutritional food source for any fish unless newly hatched naplii. For meat eaters I would suggest mysis, krill, silversides and other shellfish species.

Cheers
Steve

What do you normally feed the fish?

Considering the fish you have, whatever you feed them should allow some of the foods to secondarily feed the corals as well. The anemone will have no problem catching whatever floats by and does not need direct feedings, especially with the lighting you have.

Cheers
Steve

I'd skip the brine altogether but the other foods are fine. You may just need to puree them into smaller bits if needed but those foods will feed the corals just fine.

Cheers
Steve

dont hate on the brine, dude get them and feed it you'll be liek sweet.If for anything how about fun with your tank:)

kidkameleon3 said:
dont hate on the brine, dude get them and feed it you'll be liek sweet.If for anything how about fun with your tank:)
Translation?

IME/IMO brine is a completely wasted food source in a marine tank unless heavily fortified or newly hatched naplii. They simpley do not have enough usuable proteins to provide anything with real food value on their own.

Cheers
Steve

IME/IMO brine is a completely wasted food source in a marine tank unless heavily fortified or newly hatched naplii. They simpley do not have enough usuable proteins to provide anything with real food value on their own.

Who is it on here that says feeding brine shrimp is just like feeding potato chips to your fish? FF, I think...

cmor1701d ... that is as comical as it is true. But on a more serious note ...

Steve, I almost always fed live brine to fish as I introduced them to the tank because this seemed to really boost my odds of getting the rather picky fish to feed while under a little stress. I guess I could look for other live food, but I think this is all my LFS's provide. Do you have any foods in particular that you use when getting a fish acclimated to a tank? (live or frozen)

IMPERATORFAN said:
Steve, I almost always fed live brine to fish as I introduced them to the tank because this seemed to really boost my odds of getting the rather picky fish to feed while under a little stress.
With a new fish I would actually suggest feeding them whatever it takes to get them eating. Once accepting the captive environment, they are usually quite easy to wein onto something better. It's just something I would not feed as a regular food sup long term.

I guess I could look for other live food, but I think this is all my LFS's provide. Do you have any foods in particular that you use when getting a fish acclimated to a tank? (live or frozen)
As cmor1701d pointed out the garlic works amazingly well to stimulate a feeding response. Just be careful to only use a few drops or you will overload the senses and confuse the fish. Other than fresh caught seafoods, I only feed frozen mysis (Priscine Energetics) when meaty foods are rotated into the feeding schedule.

Cheers
Steve

My 1st saltwater tank all I fed was brine shrimp. Well my fish starved to death on stomachs full of brine. I will never feed the stuff again, yet the newly hatched is great for smaller fish such as chromis. Variety is the best, and brine really isn't worth anything IMHO.

I just fed my buttons cyclop-eeze and I think they ate it cuz they closed part way up when I fed, is that what happens when they eat? :)

ya but for some cheap fun with your tank they are kool to feed to polyps and such , jsut for fun.Not for high protien feeding or something

Back
Top Bottom