Where to place polyps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 302 watts compact lighting on my tank with polyps about mid way up is that a good place to place them because some seem as if they are not opened should I move them up or down or wait it out?

Some polyp corals require high light, while other require medium light.

Colony Polyp (H)
Starburst Polyp Coral, Green (L, H)
Clove/Glove Polyp (M)
Pumping Xenia (M,H)

Have they opened? I have mine almost half way and a piece broke off and I moved it to the bottom temporarily and it is doing great. Could be my lighting though..I was curious if they did open though.

Some have in the middle but not fully I would say about 3/4 of the way would you suggest moving them to the bottom?

What I have done is put the lights on longer periods. I didn't know if the polyps would make it on the bottom, but with full lights on 8 - 10 hours a day they are all open fully. Might be the type of light I am using or something, but they are all thriving. My tank is smaller than yours also, but you might try it.

I have 4.6 watts per gallon so I guess I could right now they are primarlly under my 182w light but if I put them on the bottom they will be under both of them...I suppose it is worth a try maybe I will get some sort of improvment out of them. I have my light on for 10-12 what kinda lights are you using and on what size tank.

My experience has been that poylps will adjust to whatever the lighting situation is and adapt to it...within reason. You probably couldn't keep them happy under NO lights, but they should do fine under the lighting you have. I maintain a 180 gal tank with 640w of VHO. It has zoanthid colonies on the top of the rock and some at the very bottom. Some of them are actually growing out from under shaded ledges. They are all doing well. I've had new colonies that took two weeks to open up. Zoos are tough and very adaptable. I'd put them where I wanted them and give them time to get used to it...IMO, they'll be fine.

I will wait 2 weeks and then see what the outcome is this is my first coral and I want everything to go right.

Back
Top Bottom