Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Where to purchase

I have been waiting on LiveAquaria.com to restock on some long spine urchins and other tank cleaners. Its been a while and no update. Anyone have other places the are comfortable ordering online for fish/cleaners?

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Any LFS in your area?

Personal experience with both.

schoeplein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I really like saltwaterfish.com
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I've also had good luck with inverts from saltwaterfish.com.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to r6mason
hey schoeplein,

What are some good LFS in Austin??
I live in Temple and there is nothing here except petco
r6mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Since the question was raised..we have 2 LFS in the Mem Tn area. 1 is Kermit's Reef. Generally a clean place, healthy fish and decent corals. a little pricey but selection is limited and the staff is your typical know it all staff. I had a conversation with another customer about using online forums to help gather info as hey were new to salt water and the turd at Kermit's told them that the accuracy was real bad and all advice on the web was highly subjective. Bull cocky, do your research and you will find your answers. They are always out of the basics..crabs, snails, urchins, sand sifters, simple clean up crew. So, the last time I made the trip out there and they were out of what I would consider pretty basic stock, I decided I will do 100 percent of my hobby online. I just ordered a bunch of equipment for my 29G from marinedepot.com. You just cant get better prices than online, at least not here. The other LFS is Something Fishy. They do mostly businesses here in town and charge joe customer stupid high prices. Ex: a standard 110W 48" VHO actinic blue bulb..30 plus dollars. Not to mention I question the 'newness' of some of their hardware. If it ain't in its original wrapper/box, you take the risk. They also have good corals but charge about 2 x as much as online for the same corals. Thats right, you too can own your own sacrophyton for about 90 bucks. Simple star polyps for 60 and 70 dollars. Anyway, I don't buy anything there. They did have a mated pair of onyx perc clowns I wanted SO freggin bad, but I could not morally support their excessive pricing. So, No, LFS is not really an option for me anymore. Not to mention most web sites policy on DOAs or poor quality are loose and I like being able to have a week or so to make sure the livestock doesn't die due to piss poor conditions at the vendors holding site. The LFS's here in town have NO guarantee what so ever on inverts. Petco in town does not even offer ANY guarantee on salt water purchases at all. Online, I can send it back with a sample of water and get a replacement. Sure its not instant gratification like I can get by walking in and making some stupid impulse buy, but honestly, I consider that just another plus. Too many folks paying too much money on stock they know nothing about just because its 'handy'.
Thanks everyone for the links, Im headed there now.

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com