Where to purchase my sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joester2k3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought my tank today and im picking it up tomarrow. I have read on here that u can get sand from like home depot or lowes somehow and then make it live sand.

Can someone please clearify this for me im still kinda confused as to what kind of sand im after

Thanks guys :)

The sand that you are looking for is "Old Castle Tropical Play Sand" I found some at the Lower Paxton Home Depot outside of Harrisburg a couple of summers ago. There have been a few rumors that Old Castle doesn't manufacture it anymore but I don't know if it is true. Also, the sand is seasonal, so if it is still in production, it might not be available until spring. If you do find it you will need to test it with vinegar to see if it is actually aragonite. Simply poor a little bit of vinegar on the sand and see if it foams up. If it foams it is the right sand.
HTH

Also do i add the water then the sand or sand and then water lol ?????????

I didn't bother to rinse the sand and just put it in first. I then covered it up with a sheet of aluminum foil. Added the water on top of the foil. The foil floated up as the water level rose. This helped a little with water cloudiness. (It still took about 3 days for the water to clear up though)

it doesn't make any diffeence which one first, ur water will get cloudy and then settle down later on, but if u want to make it easier sand first then water

I just was wondering if there was a certain way i should follow im doing everything i can not to mess this up :)

I Found some aggregate sand at my local Home Depot. The brand is Pavestone "High desert sand". I actually called the manufacture to make sure it was pure and they informed me that it is 100% aggregate with no silica. I paid roughly $5 per bag. I think they are 50lbs each but not sure (they arnt labeled with weight)

Ill do a viniger test later tonight to make sure they where not lieing :D

Aggregate is aragonite. If it doesn't say tropical play sand it's probably silica based sand. There's no problem in using it, it's just a different type of substrate. I don't believe the aragonite will buffer the water to anything above a pH of 8.0 anyway (at least in my experience).

The tropical play sand is usually available in the garden section outside. They may still have a pallet or so left from last summer.

It says play sand on it. Will it still work and become live sand even if it has some silica in it????

Is it supposed to turn like a milky color when u add the viniger or is it supposed to like boil and foam up like crazy??????????????????????????

Mine bubbled like alka seltzer when I added the vinegar. It was called Kolorscape playsand distributed by Old castle.

Back
Top Bottom