Where to put my brain coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyheitmiller

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75g tank with 2 HOt-5 bulbs 54w each about 10k in one and blue in the other along with a t-12 bulb. Not sure on anything about it. I put my brain coral up top and it looks like it's bleaching, so I put it at the middle and it stopped but no signs of its full color. Put it at the bottom and it bleaches some more. Where do I put it at????

Do you know what species it is? There are lots of different types of corals called brain corals, but pretty much all of them do best on the sand with moderate lighting. If you only have a 2 bulb fixture and 1 of the bulbs is blue (actinic) you don't have enough light for it.

Some type of green and tan favia. I told my LFS the lights and that I have even had a Ritteri in my tank for quite some time, she said it's enough light for it.

I keep most of my brain corals on the sandbed and they do quite well there. :) Just pick a spot and stick to it.

If it colors up and starts looking really good then its in the right spot. Just have to give it some time to get adjusted tot he spot you place it in. If you move it every week it never has a chance to shine. :)

If it was too bleached up top then I would try going from the bottom up. Just my opinion and what I do with mine.

Some type of green and tan favia. I told my LFS the lights and that I have even had a Ritteri in my tank for quite some time, she said it's enough light for it.
Contrary to what your LFS told you, you have no where near enough light for a ritteri. Do you still have it and if so how long have you had it?
Bottom line is you have very minimal lighting. Obviously, what you decide to try to keep alive under that lighting is your choice.

Back
Top Bottom