Where's my firefish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok....unfortunatel the other i came home to a foxface rabbitfish in my tank! My mother picked uo my daughter from school and basically buys her whatever she wants...well today she wanted a rabbitfish and the guy there knows my aquarium and said it would be ok. Needless to day i was pissed off.....im not rather fond of the rabbitfish and i woudln't have chosen it.

POint is that my firefish seemed a little freaked out that day...always hiding behind rocks (which he NEVER has done since the day he was put in tank) and it's now 2 days later and still no sign of him. I'm worried. Is there any possibility that the rabbitfish stung him? Everything I've read says no and that it's a peaceful fish but I'm concerend as to where my firefish went?! WTH? I at least thought he'd come out for the mysis feeding. he didn't.

Any insight?

Regards,

T

Sniperhank said:
Chance he jumped out? Firefish are jumpers...even if you have a lid it might have been left open by beforementioned motherly figure or the one daughter.

Oh ****. Never thought of that...I'll check now!

Sniperhank said:
Chance he jumped out? Firefish are jumpers...even if you have a lid it might have been left open by beforementioned motherly figure or the one daughter.

;(..........Omg u were right. I'm so sad right now..... Found him behind tank.

..I had him since i started this tank......rly am upset...... ;(

Thank u for ur help. Now I'm not
Looking for him every day hoping he'll b there.

Tmyboy said:
;(..........Omg u were right. I'm so sad right now..... Found him behind tank.

..I had him since i started this tank......rly am upset...... ;(

Thank u for ur help. Now I'm not
Looking for him every day hoping he'll b there.

I'm sorry !

Fishie said:
I'm sorry !

All bc my mother bought that piece if **** rabbitfish on an impulse that I didn't even want. It'll never happen again bc we had the talk that grandma can't buy anything for the tank without it being approved first.

She meant well I know but this sucks.

I kept a firefish with no lid and no problems. Its all in what is in the tank with it. Obviously a foxface will stress it to the point of jumping. Sorry about your firefish. I lost mine in a power outage and I miss having him in there.

Sniperhank said:
To bad. I don't have a top on my tank...main reason I don't have any firefish.

Thank u to all for ur comments. I do appreciate it.

Here's the thing. I do had lids...there's only about 2" of space he cud have went thru and he did. He rly had to nail it to get thru that small opening!

Attachments

• image-1482068776.jpg
    image-1482068776.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 66
BallinCrew10 said:
I kept a firefish with no lid and no problems. Its all in what is in the tank with it. Obviously a foxface will stress it to the point of jumping. Sorry about your firefish. I lost mine in a power outage and I miss having him in there.

Why do u say that a foxface will obviously stress it? Do those species not get along for some reason? Shud I not get another one?

I'm not sure of the compatibility, but if the firefish was fine and swimming in the open previous. Then when the foxface was added it hid and eventually jumped, leads me to believe it wasn't thrilled with its presence. Every fish is different though, and I'm sure with the right individuals it could be done.

BallinCrew10 said:
I'm not sure of the compatibility, but if the firefish was fine and swimming in the open previous. Then when the foxface was added it hid and eventually jumped, leads me to believe it wasn't thrilled with its presence. Every fish is different though, and I'm sure with the right individuals it could be done.

Good point. And yes it was always in open....no issues.

Well see how the next one goes bc "it's still hiding" as far as my daughters concerned. But it'll b back.

I'm gonna cover every square inch for the 1st couple weeks.

I'd be weary of covering the entire DT. You wont get much gas exchange,even if you're running a sump, and your fish might suffocate.

BallinCrew10 said:
I'd be weary of covering the entire DT. You wont get much gas exchange,even if you're running a sump, and your fish might suffocate.

Good point.
I run an open top fuge down below tho so i might b ok. Maybe I'll just cover those small openings with eggcrate and make his target even smaller. If he can make it thru one of those little squares.....gotta hand it to the fish!

If it were me I'd replace the glass with screen, better gas exchange and there's no way of the fish jumping.

Back
Top Bottom