Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2003, 11:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

It doesn't grow like that in my tank. 6 months ago I added a brillo pad size piece of spaghetti mac (I felt that was an appropriate description). I now have the equivalent of 3 brillo pads and I have not 'exported' very much of it. This could very well be because the caulerpa's are grabbing the nutrients first----I will certainly concede that. I wasn't willing to make a 100% shift in types of macro's.

It is funny how 3 different tanks can have such different results. I also tried IRON at first. I used Kent Marine's Super Chelated Iron Macro-Algae Supplement with Manganese for Reef Type Marine Aquariums. It helped a little but it also seemed to help my Micro-algae's too. Actually, it helped my microalgae's a little too much and that is why I discontinued it's use.

However, all of our tanks are different. It might work well on someone else's tank. All I know is that I have tried the latest and greatest. I like it for certain purposes and I feel it was a good addition. However, at least in my tank, the old way was better for nutrient export purposes. (At least so far).

Old 11-06-2003, 04:19 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

cool guys i think i will go for the caulepra and light it 24s with a sinlge fluorescnt tube by arcadia, do yiou think this will be enough or should i get another one?

Old 11-06-2003, 10:20 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm guessing you are talking about this lamp http://www.arcadia-uk.com/en/220marinewhitelamp.html

Unfortunately, I have no experience with these tubes and their web page does not say if this is a NO or VHO tube. Like I said, I don't think that people provide enough lighting for their macro's. If this has a decent wattage, then you are probably fine. However, if you decide to go with caulerpa, watch it for a while. If you see it turning white or clear, get it out of there.

I should also point out that Randy's tank, Teri's tank, and my tank are all set up very differently. I have not had any problems with my caulerpa going sexual because I keep it trimmed and I put the lighting closer to the fuge. (I did have it go sexual once when I had my lighting far away from it). I'm merely telling you my experience. Chaeto might work awesome in your tank.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:09 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
IMO, I think the key to the success of a refugium is variety. I have chaeto, I have three types of caulerpa, I have gracillaria. Yes, I am pruning the fuge on a weekly basis. My lights are kept on 24/7, they are NO flourescents, stuff grows like mad.My lights are right on top of the fuge. I also grow the prolifera in several other tanks. It has gone sexual once, due to my neglect. If you pay any attention at all to what is going on in your tank, you will not have any problems seeing the
signs that give warning to the event. Chaeto, from all that I have read, just does not export nutrients to the extent that those of us with overfed fat fish, need.

One point on the pruning of caulerpa, do not cut it. PINCH it off ...hold the pinch a few seconds than finish pinching the branches off.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:19 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
IMO, One point on the pruning of caulerpa, do not cut it. PINCH it off ...hold the pinch a few seconds than finish pinching the branches off.
Thanks for pointing this out.

MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, ich, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com