which anemone for caramel clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThAtGuY11

Aquarium Advice Regular
i bought 2 caramel clown fish yesterday and i want to get them an anemone. i don't know which anemone they would prefer. any suggestions?

thanks
ThAtGuY :D

Attachments

• clowns_162.jpg
    clowns_162.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 110
Ah Ocellaris I believe. They will host bta's, just it may take awhile.

Their natural hosts are S. gigantea and H. magnifica, neither of which I would recommend unless you have several years of sw experience and at least a year or two or experience taking care of an easier anemone like a bta or lta.

What type of lighting do you have? And how long has your tank been setup?

Lance M. said:
What type of lighting do you have? And how long has your tank been setup?

i don't know what lighting i have but the guy at the lfs gave me some and he said their fine for a reef tank, theres 2 blue tubes and 2 white tubes. and tank has been set up for about 6 weeks, its complete its cycle.

2day i bought an anemone from lfs(its was the only one they had) the guy said that the anemone has as much chance as any other. ill post a pic of it in SW identification.

I replied in the ID thread. It looks like a very bleeched Sebae anemone. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it does not look like a good choice for your tank. I am not sure your lighting is sificiant to keep this animal. They do require intense light due to the fact that they are primarily substrate dwellers. The animal you have appears to be in poor condition. On a side...anemones are delicate animals and should only be attempted in stable, mature tanks that are at least 8-12 months old.

Just a bit of friendly advice, but if you're serious about keeping anemones or corals, you should really take some initiative and understand what kind of lighting you have. "Two blue and two white ones" really doesn't characterize the strength (wattage) of your lighting. LFSs may give good advice, but it's really in your best interest (and your tank's inhabitant's interest!) to understand things yourself and not take a store's advice (or ours!) blindly.

It almost sounds like VHO lights. What bothers me the most is what Brian said about how old your tank is. It needs to be about 8-12 months old to be stable enough to handle an anenome. And then seabae anenome`s are a little more difficult esp without proper lighting. As far as the clowns there is a good chance they might not even host an anenome. I know of many folks that could not make it work including myself. Many that have but there is no guarantee.

melosu58 said:
It almost sounds like VHO lights.

im such an idiot :oops: why didn't i just take a light out and read it DUUH!. this is what it sais -> FSL 220V 50Hz <- 2 of them are white, 2 of them are blue, their about 6 inches long each and about 1cm in diameter. hope this helped. its all i can find out at this current time

Does it give a product name? How many watts does it put out?

The bulbs are only 6 inches long?!?!

How long is your tank?

Is there a number after the FSL e.g FSL-40 or anything on the light bulb that indicates wattage?
Do the bulbs look like standard flourescent bulbs?

It sounds like you may have standard aquarium strip lights. That is nowhere near enough light for anenome

Back
Top Bottom