Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

which anemone for caramel clownfish?

i bought 2 caramel clown fish yesterday and i want to get them an anemone. i don't know which anemone they would prefer. any suggestions?

thanks
ThAtGuY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clowns_162.jpg (109.9 KB, 72 views)

Old 10-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Ah Ocellaris I believe. They will host bta's, just it may take awhile.

Their natural hosts are S. gigantea and H. magnifica, neither of which I would recommend unless you have several years of sw experience and at least a year or two or experience taking care of an easier anemone like a bta or lta.

What type of lighting do you have? And how long has your tank been setup?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M.
What type of lighting do you have? And how long has your tank been setup?
i don't know what lighting i have but the guy at the lfs gave me some and he said their fine for a reef tank, theres 2 blue tubes and 2 white tubes. and tank has been set up for about 6 weeks, its complete its cycle.

2day i bought an anemone from lfs(its was the only one they had) the guy said that the anemone has as much chance as any other. ill post a pic of it in SW identification.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I replied in the ID thread. It looks like a very bleeched Sebae anemone. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it does not look like a good choice for your tank. I am not sure your lighting is sificiant to keep this animal. They do require intense light due to the fact that they are primarily substrate dwellers. The animal you have appears to be in poor condition. On a side...anemones are delicate animals and should only be attempted in stable, mature tanks that are at least 8-12 months old.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a bit of friendly advice, but if you're serious about keeping anemones or corals, you should really take some initiative and understand what kind of lighting you have. "Two blue and two white ones" really doesn't characterize the strength (wattage) of your lighting. LFSs may give good advice, but it's really in your best interest (and your tank's inhabitant's interest!) to understand things yourself and not take a store's advice (or ours!) blindly.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It almost sounds like VHO lights. What bothers me the most is what Brian said about how old your tank is. It needs to be about 8-12 months old to be stable enough to handle an anenome. And then seabae anenome`s are a little more difficult esp without proper lighting. As far as the clowns there is a good chance they might not even host an anenome. I know of many folks that could not make it work including myself. Many that have but there is no guarantee.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
It almost sounds like VHO lights.
im such an idiot why didn't i just take a light out and read it DUUH!. this is what it sais -> FSL 220V 50Hz <- 2 of them are white, 2 of them are blue, their about 6 inches long each and about 1cm in diameter. hope this helped. its all i can find out at this current time
Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Does it give a product name? How many watts does it put out?

The bulbs are only 6 inches long?!?!

How long is your tank?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Is there a number after the FSL e.g FSL-40 or anything on the light bulb that indicates wattage?
Do the bulbs look like standard flourescent bulbs?

It sounds like you may have standard aquarium strip lights. That is nowhere near enough light for anenome

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, clown, clownfish, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com