Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-27-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Which Anemone Is Right For Me?

i have a 15 gallon tall, and it will soon be under coralife 96watt power compacts. i need a host anemone for ocellaris clowns. something colorfull or even white is prefered, as it will be the centerpiece of my tank. also, what kinds of water quality changes are they most sensitive to? thanks for the help.

Genix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
It may be tough to keep in a 15 gallon. Make sure you have a well established tank. I'd recommend a bubble-tip anemone though (BTA) either white or red/rose. If you can find one captive bred they seem to be more stable in changing water conditions. I got 1 RBTA in my 33 gallon and has since been splitting so I no have 4 RTBAs in my 33g. They host a maroon clown. Very nice to keep though.

Good luck

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
How long has the tank been established? Typically you will want your system to be mature up to 6 months before adding an Anemone, and make sure your water quality is up to par.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I really cant see an anemone of any species thriving in a 15 gallon aquarium. Anemones need a fairly stable salinity, ph, calcium, etc, etc not to mention nearly perfect water that is somewhat near free of nitrates. Keeping such values in perfect adjustment in a mere 15 gallons of water seems almost impossible to me since daily there are bound to be fluctuations. While I have heard of BTA's doing alright in smaller tanks this is not without risk since if the Anemone where to die the heavy pollution may be enough to kill all the inhabitants of such a small tank.

Also like Salttanker said a tank with 6 months or more maturity is needed before keeping an anemone - in that size tank I would give it some careful thought.
Want a great read check out my debut novel Neptune's Garden: www.neptunesgardenbook.com
macman7010 is offline   Reply With Quote

anemone, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com