Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2004, 07:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Which Anemone should I get?

So, I got a little ocellaris clownfish and I was wondering what you guys/gals think an appropriate host anemone would be.

I am going to be upgrading my light eventually, but right now I have approx 2 - 2.5 watts / gal in a 55 gal (long) tank with the LR stacked fairly high, will this be good enough? The light does seem pretty intense on the upper regions of the LR. I have a Actinic, 50/50, and daylight bulb.

Thanks, B.

ps: I just got a digital camera so I will have pics soon.

Old 01-11-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IMO, no anemone for hosting would be good with the current lighting conditions. I would wait until you upgrade rather than possibly subject any to inadequate lighting. A good rule of thumb is to prepare the tank for the animal properly before purchase, that way nothing unfortunate happens which makes needed upgrades impossible (as in money having to be used for something else, emergency, etc.).

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

HOw much light should anemones have?
Old 01-11-2004, 11:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Hoops, one more question though. i noticed that there are compact flourescent light fixtures available from coralife that are relatively inexpensive. Anybody heard good or bad things with these

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...aqualight.html

They seem like the best deal and that would be around 4.5 watts/gal, is this good enough.

Also would a bulb anemone be good for the ocellaris clown
Old 01-12-2004, 12:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
You cannot go by the Watts per gallon rule. I just purchased the Coralvue 4x65 fixture for a little under $200 and am very happy with it. I also have a coralvue 65watt that I'm happy with as well. I would suggest a like similar to this for your 55g if you don't want to go the MH route.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:57 AM   #6
cj10488

I would never place an Anemone in a tank without having MH lights no matter what size tank it is..

James
Old 01-12-2004, 12:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
HOw much light should anemones have?
Depends on the species, although most require intense lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpope
Thanks Hoops, one more question though. i noticed that there are compact flourescent light fixtures available from coralife that are relatively inexpensive. Anybody heard good or bad things with these
I think these lights are great, comparably inexpensive yet IMO very good quality and color. The 4x65w saltwater unit would do very well on your 55g.

If you were to purchase that light, I think a captive raised BTA (E. quad) could do very well in your tank. They are one of the only hosting anemones that thrives without having intense MH lighting. In the wild they don't host ocellaris clowns but they often do in aquariums.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's my little personal anemone rant again. Sorry but I just have to keep doing it.

http://www.garf.org/trever/anem/anenome.html

I found this posted in another forum. Good info. Anyone thinking of getting an anemone should read this first. At least you should be informed about what is going on with anemones.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Interesting! I like the idea of a Xenia hosting a clown fish! If I were to get one anyway :P
Old 01-12-2004, 03:19 PM   #10
cj10488

Quote:
Here's my little personal anemone rant again. Sorry but I just have to keep doing it.

http://www.garf.org/trever/anem/anenome.html

I found this posted in another forum. Good info. Anyone thinking of getting an anemone should read this first. At least you should be informed about what is going on with anemones.
I have read this and found that there is some trueness to this but also highly disagree for the most part.. It is not the mainly the aquarist that is killing them off.. Most of the issues lies with collection and transportation.. A major majority is that Most LFS stores will sell an Anemone to anyone no matter lighting or age of the tank... If we aquarists research and do our part 110% to care for a creature that we have purchased the only thing that should cause these to die are the sole fact of Collection/transportation methods... the facts that most anemones die is true but that is also based on past metods of keeping them.. With technology different now then when that study was made there are many that are able to keep anemones long term... Back then when those studies were produced MH lights were only for the SERIOUS ppl such as zoos, Ect... If they were to rerun those studies there would be completely different results... I must state and Stress that if you get any anemone you should read and read and read.. If you still must realy on others as to weather or not you should buy one then you are not ready.. I reasearched mine for about 6 months prior to getting one.. It has stayed alive and Thriving for 1 month already Wooo Hooo.. It has not move at all since it was placed in the tank.. Research and Devotion is the only method that we can use to keep wild caught anemones alive... There will always be a demand for them.. Think 10-15yrs ago.. Kepping SW fish was extremely hard.. Hardy fish were dying left and right.. Here we are today raising, Breeding and caring for these fish for many years just as if they were in the ocean..

Just my 2 Cents,
James

Tags
anemone, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com