Which angel Fish(s) to choose for my new 240 gallon aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wazuph2o

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, i am in the current stages of setting up my 240 gal tank. Right now i am in a 75 but will begin the switch in a couple days or so, as soon as i get some feedback. Ok, in my 75 gallon right now i have a stars and stripes puffer,yellow hawaiian tang, 4 yellow tailed damsels, black and white banded percula and a true perc clown. I plan to add in my tank, a zebra moray, flame hawkfish, paddlefin wrasse, white cheek tang, blue unicorn tang, tear drop butterfly and a saddle back butterfly. I am also looking to add 1, 2 or maybe even 3 angelfish but i am not sure if there can be 3 angel fish co-existing in a tank together and what angels will not cause any trouble to my other fish.

these are some of the angels that i had in mind.
---------------------------------------------------
maculosus angelfish
chrysurus angelfish
passer angelfish
queen angelfish
annularis angelfish
imperator angelfish
koran angelfish

If you can tell me which of these angel fish pose no threat to my fish in my tank now or the fish that i plan to get. Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated

According to my "Pocket Guide ot Marine Fish" the Queen is very hardy but tends to be quit aggressive as juvinals and subadults. I am a fan of the Passer. They are hardy but also bellogerent. Better suited for the aggressive tank with ells, triggers, groupers and such. Emperor is not quit as hardy. Adults are prone to lateral ine disease. Stunning fhis though. the Kora is an excellent chice. Very hardy and thrives in a well maintained tank. Less aggressive. Don't really have any info on the others. You may also want to look at the blu girdled angel, great color. What ever you decide add the large angel last as most can tend to be aggressive. Good luck...Lando

thanks for the help :D Also have you ever had experience keeping 2 angels together? I have heard that it all depends on the type of angels that you put together but just curious to see which ones will work together and get along with each other and their tank mates 8)

I have kept a coral beauty and flame together without problems. I have never tried the larger angels.

I have a Maculosus. She is a very tough fish, intelligent and personable. Great fish, highly recommended!!
As for 2 Angels together, I have been told from many that unless you tank is huge, that it a bad Idea. They can/will fight. I wouldn't even consider 2 angels for my tank. They may get along as juveniles, but that will change as they mature.
Good luck!!

quarryshark said:
I wouldn't even consider 2 angels for my tank. They may get along as juveniles, but that will change as they mature.
Good luck!!

Wow, thanks alot. I was considering that fish. I read it was very hardy but now i get to hear it fom someone. You said you wouldnt consider 2 angels for your tank, how big is your tank?

Mine is a 210 gallon. You can see her in my gallery. Got her last Dec, she has grown over 2 inches since then. her juvenile striped are almost gone now.

Does it make a difference if you get it when they are a juvenille of adult? I was going to setup a 240 gallon. Maybe it can house 2 angelfish if i get angels that are not as aggresive as most.

Well, its up to you. But everthing I read it is stated they will not get along. I have seen them fight in the wild.
Maybe if you introduce them when they are small, you may have a chance.

hmmmm.....well i guess it is better to be safe then sorry. I guess i am just gonna stick to 1 large angel in that case but does that also mean that i cant put a dwarf angel(s) in the tank with the large angel?

quarryshark said:
Well, its up to you. But everthing I read it is stated they will not get along. I have seen them fight in the wild.
Maybe if you introduce them when they are small, you may have a chance.

And your masculosus angel, is it a peacefull fish or is it aggressive? and what fish does you angel have a problem getting along with if any. Thanks

She is fairly aggresive. She get along great with my Yellow Tang(not at first) and ignores the smaller fish. She does chase my Heni's a lot. its better than it was, but she still chases them.
Good thing they are faster. :wink:

how about feeding? Is it easy to feed it and what kinds of food do you feed yours?

She eats about anything I give her. Flake, frozen Angelfood prer, Marine Cruisine, Nori, etc. No problem with feeding. Just make sure they get some sponges in their diet. The Angelfood "frozen" contains that.
I just purchased a dwarf Angel, let you know how they get along in a bout 5 weeks.

quarryshark said:
She eats about anything I give her. Flake, frozen Angelfood prer, Marine Cruisine, Nori, etc. No problem with feeding. Just make sure they get some sponges in their diet. The Angelfood "frozen" contains that.

Ahh, yes. The angel food with the sponges. I have been told a number of different things when i had my drarf angel. My LFS told me that they do not need sponges in there diet. If they dont get the sponge food in their diet will they die?

quarryshark said:
I just purchased a dwarf Angel, let you know how they get along in a bout 5 weeks.

Hmmm, ok be sure to let me know. What type of dwarf angel is it?

Thanks

wazuph2o said:
quarryshark said:

Ahh, yes. The angel food with the sponges. I have been told a number of different things when i had my drarf angel. My LFS told me that they do not need sponges in there diet. If they dont get the sponge food in their diet will they die?

quarryshark said:

Hmmm, ok be sure to let me know. What type of dwarf angel is it?

Don't know if they will die. Its a big part of their diet in the wild. I have seen them eat sponges myself many time while diving. See photo below.

I purchased a Coral Beauty, I'll update you, however it will be some time with the qt period. Here is a pic.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=29502

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom