Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-06-2004, 10:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Which Angelfish to get?

I wanna get a an angel for my tank, probably a dwarf cause I have a 72gallon tank. Any reccomendations for a nice looking one. I'm looking at the bicolor angel, any opinion on this guy? The other fish i was looking at getting was some type of Butterfly , i like the auriga, longnose, or copper band. Anybody have any suggestions, I can't get both an Angel and Butterfly i dont think anyway because of fear of overloading the tank, any cautions with any of these guys.
also, any general rule when to add angels/butterflys, as in the last fish to add after the tank has been up for a long time , or doesnt it matter too much, the tanks already all cycled been up for about 8 months.

scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:54 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Is this a reef or a FOWLR or a FO? Bicolor angels are notoriously difficult to get to acclimate, I think the larger ones from Fiji had a decent track record, but the others did poorly (probably a cyanide thing).

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
it is a FO tank, so you think itd be a bad idea to get one?
scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Try a flame or lemon peel. Both are very attractive. They would really want some LR in there though.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:23 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I like the Coral Beauty. I've had good luck with these and never had one cause a problem. I think they are a very attractive fish although they do tend to hide a lot.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would go for the lemon peel, flame or coral beauty. All are colorful and hardy. If you do not have a lot of LR with good growth on it I would stay away from any of the butterflies, especially the copperband.
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 02:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Bicolor angels are notoriously difficult to get to acclimate
Very true. I have a 6 month old tank. I purchased one a month and a half ago, it just died a few days ago. Although I have plenty of lr and algae and it grazed on it all day, it would not eat any of the many prepared foods I tried. Garlic, mush, you name it. It did not show any type of bodily problems like infection or parasite, only a thin malnourished look before it went. My water quality never showed a problem, and he remained very active right till the last few days. It slowly starved. This could be related to cyanide, I don't know. My other fish are fine.

I think this is why Fenner and others say to steer clear of this fish. If anyone reading this is having long term success with a bicolor angel please let us know, but I don't hear many of these stories.

There are some really attractive butterflyfish that appear to be suitable for a 70. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...d=21&pCatId=25

hey half the fun is dreaming it up!
srgetz is offline   Reply With Quote

angel, angelfish, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com