Which Angelfish to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wanna get a an angel for my tank, probably a dwarf cause I have a 72gallon tank. Any reccomendations for a nice looking one. I'm looking at the bicolor angel, any opinion on this guy? The other fish i was looking at getting was some type of Butterfly , i like the auriga, longnose, or copper band. Anybody have any suggestions, I can't get both an Angel and Butterfly i dont think anyway because of fear of overloading the tank, any cautions with any of these guys.
also, any general rule when to add angels/butterflys, as in the last fish to add after the tank has been up for a long time , or doesnt it matter too much, the tanks already all cycled been up for about 8 months.
thanks.

Is this a reef or a FOWLR or a FO? Bicolor angels are notoriously difficult to get to acclimate, I think the larger ones from Fiji had a decent track record, but the others did poorly (probably a cyanide thing).

Try a flame or lemon peel. Both are very attractive. They would really want some LR in there though.

I like the Coral Beauty. I've had good luck with these and never had one cause a problem. I think they are a very attractive fish although they do tend to hide a lot.

I would go for the lemon peel, flame or coral beauty. All are colorful and hardy. If you do not have a lot of LR with good growth on it I would stay away from any of the butterflies, especially the copperband.

Bicolor angels are notoriously difficult to get to acclimate
Very true. I have a 6 month old tank. I purchased one a month and a half ago, it just died a few days ago. Although I have plenty of lr and algae and it grazed on it all day, it would not eat any of the many prepared foods I tried. Garlic, mush, you name it. It did not show any type of bodily problems like infection or parasite, only a thin malnourished look before it went. My water quality never showed a problem, and he remained very active right till the last few days. It slowly starved. :( This could be related to cyanide, I don't know. My other fish are fine.

I think this is why Fenner and others say to steer clear of this fish. If anyone reading this is having long term success with a bicolor angel please let us know, but I don't hear many of these stories.

There are some really attractive butterflyfish that appear to be suitable for a 70. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=25

Back
Top Bottom