Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Which Clown Anemones are the best???

Hey all!

I just got 2 clowns from the LFS. They are false percs. One is a lot bigger than the other which is good because I hope they will pair. They were the only 2 left at the LFS and he said they have been together for almost a month a lone in the same tank. They are doing great together. I was wondering though, this morning I looked in the tank and one of them was kind of digging a whole in the sand bed. Then he just kind of sat there on the bottom in his whole. Is this normal? He is out and about moving all around now though?

Also I want to get an anemone and see if they will host. The LFS I went to had a LTA, and a Haitan anemone...any of these any good for the false percs.?? If not what is the most hardy and best sutible for a 30 g tank??? been set up for a few months now.

Thanks for the help again everyone.

Ben

Old 09-30-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
anemones arent good for new tanks. sorry. the experts should chime in for this one.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 PM   #3

yeah I kind of figured, I have a friend who has a somewhat newley set up tank and has had one in there for a long time now and its doing great, so I didnt know if there were some that would be ok?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
im not too sure on that, ive just been told to stay away from them if you got a new tank. they might be perfectly fine for one but im not sure, i was just told this cuz i wanted one recently and asked about it on here. like i said, wait for the experts i guess.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to rafecci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilcox1208 View Post
Hey all!

this morning I looked in the tank and one of them was kind of digging a whole in the sand bed. Then he just kind of sat there on the bottom in his whole. Is this normal?
Mine did that too when I first got them. As I understand it, it's a marking of territory thing.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:11 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Well, if they are a mated pair, the larger one will be the female and the smaller the male.
Also, there is no guarantee that either of the 2 will host an anem. I've had them host a spot of sand, power head and even the corner of the tank. Other folks have had them host various other corals or where ever they stake their claim.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Percs and False Percs (O. Clowns) will host in BTAs. As Roka said there is no guarantee that they will. Anemones should be added to a tank with strong lighting and not until the tank is 8-12 months old. The clowns will do just fine without an anemone.

Here is a chart to give you an idea of what clowns host to what anemones.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #8

thanks a lot for the info, so there are no anemone that will be good in a tank that is about 2 months old. Also has anybody every heard of them hosting any types of mushrooms?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have mine host a bubble and a hammer coral.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilcox1208 View Post
thanks a lot for the info, so there are no anemone that will be good in a tank that is about 2 months old. Also has anybody every heard of them hosting any types of mushrooms?
A 2 month old tank is not ready for an anemone. They are delicate and require pristine water conditions.

Clowns have been known to host all kinds of things, power heads, mushrooms, frogspawn, toadstool, and tons of other things.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone, anemones, clown, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com