Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Which Corals Grow Fast?

Hello,

As some of you may remember from other threads I have a short timeframe for my tank. I am in the Navy and have to go back to sea duty in a year and a half at which time I won't be able to maintain a tank. I know this is a long term hobby but I have always wanted to get into it and so I decided to do it regardless of the limited time frame.

I want to guy frags because, well, full colonies are hugely expensive (I did buy a large frogspawn just to kick things off). Given the time frame I have I can't wait years for that little 1" frag to fully grow out if it grows slow, so which corals grow rapidy? I know that requirement limits me, but its the way it has to be unfortunetly.

Looking online it seems like zoas and mushrooms are right up my ally.

1 Powder Blue Tang, 1 Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Talbot Damsel, 1 YWG, 1 Red Honey Damsel.
Patroklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

What are you going to do with your tank when you deploy?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am going to break it down and sell the livestock off. I have homes for all my fish already, and I am sure the local LFSs would be more than happy to take my corals off my hands.

Assuming I can convince someone to watch it while I am gone I might try and keep a few select corals alive in a nano during that time so that when I go back to shore duty I have a starter kit of corals waiting for me, but we shall see.

But that is then, I still have a year and a half to enjoy my current tank! I realize all corals grow slow, but some must grow/propogate faster than others.

1 Powder Blue Tang, 1 Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Talbot Damsel, 1 YWG, 1 Red Honey Damsel.
Patroklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Refresh my memory on your system. How long has it been up and running?

Corals are funny things. It mainly depends on your system. I have SPS that grow faster in my system then my Zoas and mushrooms do. It all depends on your water parameters and your lighting. Flow also has a lot to do with it.

For soft corals a toadstool leather will do well and grow nicely in a year. Mushrooms are always a safe bet and are hardy. Zoas as you mentioned will do well in your system and grow nicely. If you are looking for hard corals be they SPS or LPS you have several options. SPS - Montipora Digitata, certain acros (pm me about this) and Montipora Capricornus will grow fairly quickly. LPS - Frogspawn (you have this and it may grow quickly for you) trumpet coral, some bubble corals and fox coral tend to grow quickly.

Hope that points you in the right direction.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

GSP will grow very fast and so will Xenia.

Tags
coral, corals, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com