Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Which Corals to Go With to Avoid Toxin?

I am trying to figure out which corals I am going to go with for my 125g tank. I don't want any "chemical warfare". The only coral I have in there currently is an Aussie Acan Lord Coral. I don't think I want soft corals either because some give off toxins, right? I was thinking of possibly making it an SPS tank (what is the toxin situation like for them?).

Does my Acan have/give off toxin?

I am trying to make this aquarium as safe as possible for me and my family.

Thanks.

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea
I am trying to figure out which corals I am going to go with for my 125g tank. I don't want any "chemical warfare". The only coral I have in there currently is an Aussie Acan Lord Coral. I don't think I want soft corals either because some give off toxins, right? I was thinking of possibly making it an SPS tank (what is the toxin situation like for them?).

Does my Acan have/give off toxin?

I am trying to make this aquarium as safe as possible for me and my family.

Thanks.
Well first off no coral is going to be toxic to you or your family. Palytoxin is the only one i would worry about but even to be poisoned by that would require something like you cutting it and getting the toxin in your eyes mouth or an open wound. Very unlikely especially if you know what your doing and take proper precautions.

Chemical warfare refers to different species of corals fighting with chemicals in order to control space for future growth. In a tank it can become more problematic because those chemicals become more concentrated and can harm other corals.

Running carbon will greatly reduce any chemical compounds or toxins in the water and is always recommended for a mixed reef where many species of soft and stony corals coexist.

For a tank that is species dedicated such as just stony corals then chemical warfare becomes far less if not nonexistent. So i would recommend an LPS, SPS, or LPS and SPS tank. This is by no means precise, just one of those old age guidlines.

Tags
coral, corals, ich, toxin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com